2006-07 | 2005-06 | 2004-05 | 2003-04 | 2002-03 | 2001-02 | 2000-01
L.A. Cothran became the first intercollegiate champion of the South in 1898. He defeated a Sewanee player named Seibles at the Montogmery (Ala.) Tennis and Golf Club. E.V. Carter Jr., won the old Southern Intercollegiate singles title in 1908-1910. Carter won the doubles in 1908 with Grover C. Middlebrooks and in 1909 with Walter Holmes.
Malon Courts claimed the old Southern Conference singles title in 1927. He remained active in the game, and in 1954, Courts won the Southern Senior singles event. He teamed with Bryan Grant to win the National Clay Courts Senior Men's doubles in 1955. Jack Boykin claimed the 1930 Southern Conference singles title.
Regular Matches Begin
Dr. Ed Everett, for years head of the University's English Department, served as the first coach. After Dr. Everett, the Bulldogs were led by J.R. DeLara, H.T. Hollis, Albert Curtis, Dr. Eugene Odum, and Col. E.B. Smith. Albert Jones, captain of the 1938 squad, coached the Bulldogs from 1949-54. Jones designed an excellent varsity tennis layout, which was "lost" when part of the Science Center was built on it. However, a new varsity tennis stadium was built on what was known as "Ag Hill," and even then earned the reputation as the best collegiate tennis stadium in the South.
The Magill Era
After unsuccessful attempts to hire a tennis coach, Dan Magill took on this job as well as being secretary of the Georgia Bulldog club and sports information director plus countless other duties. A tennis lettermen in 1940-41, he became the all-time winningest coach in the history of the sport. Before retiring in 1995, he wore many hats in his 59-year association with the University of Georgia.
In his 34-year tenure as head coach from 1955-88, Magill's teams won 13 SEC outdoor championships and eight indoor league titles, while five players won national collegiate individual titles. His 1985 and 1987 teams captured the NCAA Championships.
Evolution of Facilities
The first tennis courts on campus were located east of the Arch alongside Broad Street at the turn of the century. In the 1930s and 1940s, there were six red clay courts in front of LeConte Hall, where the Journalism-Psychology complex now sits. The Bulldogs moved to their present location between Foley Field and Stegeman Coliseum in the spring of 1958 when six rubico (dirt) courts were constructed. In 1968 for the first time in history, Georgia changed to a hard surface as the courts were converted to Grass-tex. In 1977, the current Henry Feild Stadium was built and the University has been host to numerous national tournaments since.
The stadium courts are named for the late Henry Feild, the Bulldogs' No. 1 player in 1964-65-66. Feild died in an automobile accident in January of 1968. In 1980, thanks to the generosity of alumnus Lindsey Hopkins, Jr., Georgia's indoor facility was built. Magill also directed the move to place the Collegiate Tennis Hall of Fame facility on the Georgia campus in 1984.
Along with the eight national championships (six outdoor, two indoor), Georgia Tennis owns 37 SEC titles (28 regular season, 9 tournament) and has made 36 NCAA Tournament appearances. There have been 46 different Bulldogs who have earned individual All-America honors 91 times, and nine NCAA champions since 1983. Mikael Pernfors won both the 1984 and 1985 NCAA singles title while Allen Miller and Ola Malmqvist captured the 1983 NCAA doubles title. In 1991, Al Parker was tabbed the Academic All-American of the Year. In 2001, Matias Boeker guided the Bulldogs to the NCAA Championship as well as sweeping the singles and doubles titles. Boeker repeated as NCAA singles champion in 2002. In 2005, John Isner and Antonio Ruiz claimed the NCAA doubles crown.