May 16, 2013
URBANA, Ill. --- The Georgia men's tennis team posted a 4-1 win over 14th-seeded Oklahoma on Thursday in the round of 16 to move on to the quarterfinals of the 2013 NCAA Championships at the University of Illinois' Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex. The third-seeded Bulldogs will square off against No. 11 Pepperdine on Saturday at 1 p.m. ET.
Georgia (25-4) is into the quarterfinals for the 10th straight year and has now won 16 matches in a row and 20 of the last 21.
"We feel good," said head coach Manuel Diaz, who has led his team into the NCAA field of 64 in each of his 25 seasons in Athens. "Oklahoma was ranked as high as No. 5 in the country and they have a very good team. They're well-coached. This was a great victory today and we earned it. It was physically and emotionally draining and we look forward to getting some rest and bouncing back."
Georgia snagged the doubles point with wins at Nos. 2 and 3 to take the early 1-0 lead over Oklahoma. At No. 2, 15th-ranked team of Nathan Pasha and Garrett Brasseaux defeated No. 68 Guillermo Alcorta and Axel Alvarez Llamas, 8-5. Just moments later the No. 3 team of Eric Diaz and Marco Nunez took out Nick Papac and Lawrence Formentera, 8-4. The match on court No. 1 was suspended on serve at 4-4.
In singles, Georgia took four of six first sets but the Sooners evened the team score at 1-1 with a 6-1, 6-1 win for 110th-ranked Llamas over Austin Smith at No. 3. Georgia pulled back ahead at 2-1 with a strong 6-4, 6-3 win for the freshman Nunez over Papac at No. 6, and the lead pushed to 3-1 as Pieters defeated Dane Webb 7-5, 6-3 at No. 4. That left court Nos. 1, 2, and 5 on court, each in the third set, and the clinch came for Georgia at No. 5 as Brasseaux rallied to defeat Leonard Stakhovsky 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 to seal the win for Georgia. It was the junior's fourth clinch of the year.
Georgia is playing in its 35th NCAA Tournament and 30th straight. The Bulldogs now have a record of 93-29 in tournament play. Georgia today defeated a pair of lettermen and former UGA coaches, as Oklahoma head coach John Roddick and assistant coach Bo Hodge both played for Diaz and were assistants on the staff.
Georgiadogs.com will offer the Georgia Tennis Live Chat - as well as scoring and video - for all matches the Bulldogs play.
#2 Georgia 4, #14 Oklahoma 1
1. #33 Ben Wagland (UG) vs. #21 Costin Paval (OU) 7-5, 4-6, 4-5, unfinished
2. #47 Nathan Pasha (UG) vs. #58 Guillermo Alcorta (OU) 7-6 (7-1), 2-6, 2-1, unfinished
3. #110 Axel Alvarez Llamas (OU) def. Austin Smith (UG) 6-1, 6-1
4. #115 Hernus Pieters (UG) def. #64 Dane Webb (OU) 7-5, 6-3
5. Garrett Brasseaux (UG) def. Leonard Stakhovsky (OU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
6. Marco Nunez (UG) def. Nick Papac (OU) 6-4, 6-3
1. #5 Hernus Pieters/Ben Wagland (UG) vs. #46 Costin Paval/Dane Webb (OU) 4-4, unfinished
2. #15 Nathan Pasha/Garrett Brasseaux (UG) def. #68 Guillermo Alcorta/Axel Alvarez Llamas (OU) 8-5
3. Marco Nunez/Eric Diaz (UG) def. Nick Papac/Lawrence Formentera (OU) 8-4
Oklahoma 21-7; National ranking #14
Georgia 25-4; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (3,6,4,5)