Sept. 12, 2012
ATHENS, Ga. - The University of Georgia volleyball team takes to the road this weekend and opens its Southeastern Conference schedule when it travels to Columbia, S.C., and Starkville, Miss., to take on the South Carolina Gamecocks and the Mississippi State Bulldogs. Georgia enters the weekend with a 6-3 record, while South Carolina is 11-0 and Mississippi State is 4-5. Georgia faces South Carolina on Friday, September 14 at 7 p.m., before taking on Mississippi State on Sunday, September 16 at 1:30 p.m.
Friday, September 14
Georgia at South Carolina – 7 p.m.
Sunday, September 16
Georgia at Mississippi State – 1:30 p.m.
• Gametracker will be available for all matches
• Live video will be available for the match at South Carolina at www.gamecocksonline.com
• Live video will be available for the match at Mississippi State at www.hailstate.com
• In SEC Openers: Georgia is 14-15 in SEC openers, with its last SEC-opening win coming in 2005, when the Bulldogs handed Ole Miss a 3-2 loss. Georgia has opened its SEC schedule just twice against South Carolina, falling both times. However, Georgia is 3-1, when the Bulldogs face the Gamecocks on the second day of the weekend that they open their SEC schedule. The Bulldogs have never have never lost to Mississippi State when the teams have opened their SEC schedules against one another. In addition, Georgia is undefeated when it has faced MSU on the second day of the SEC-opening weekend.
• Against the Gamecocks: Georgia owns the all-time record against South Carolina 44-18. South Carolina and Georgia split the two contests last season, with Georgia winning at South Carolina 3-0, before the Gamecocks handed Georgia a 3-1 loss in the second meeting between the schools.
• Against Mississippi State: UGA leads Mississippi State 38-10 in the all-time series that dates back to the program’s inaugural year in 1978. Georgia swept MSU last season, taking both matches 3-1.
• Seeing Double-Double: Georgia has seen three players record double-double performances this season. The first came from Brittany Northcutt, who finished with 14 kills and 10 digs against Georgia Southern in the season-opener. Chloe Buckendahl became the second Bulldog will a double-double, finishing with 10 kills and 13 digs against No. 8 Florida State. She repeated her double-double performance against Albany (12K/17D) and IPFW (12K/21D). Maggie Baumert became the third Bulldog with a double-double, finishing with 33A/14D against Albany.
• Le’au: Tirah Le’au is riding a streak of five matches where she has either led or tied for the team lead in kills. At the Spartan Invitational, Le’au finished as Georgia’s leader in all three matches, totaling 52 kills. During the tournament, Le’au tallied double-double kills three times, including a season-best 19 against both Albany and IPFW. Against Albany, Le’au hit at .484 clip.