Sept. 5, 2012
ATHENS, Ga. – The University of Georgia volleyball team continues its road swing this weekend when it travels to East Lansing, Mich., for the Auto Owners Insurance Spartan Invitational, hosted by Michigan State. During the two-day tournament, the Bulldogs, 5-1, will take on teams from Albany, IPFW and Michigan State. Georgia has faced just one team that is participating in the Auto Owners Insurance Spartan Invitational. The Bulldogs are 2-0 against host-school Michigan State. The two teams have not faced one another on the court since the 1986 season when Georgia came away with a 3-1 win.
Friday, September 7
Georgia vs. Albany – 4:30 p.m.
Saturday, September 8
Georgia vs. IPFW - 10 a.m.
Georgia at Michigan State – 7:30 p.m.
• Gametracker will be available for all matches
• A Look Back: Georgia improved to 5-1 on the season after going 2-1 last weekend in the FSU Invitational. The Bulldogs two matches from Florida International and Florida A&M before falling to eighth-ranked Florida State.
• Seeing Double-Double: Georgia has seen two players record double-double performances this season. The first came from Brittany Northcutt, who finished with 14 kills and 10 digs against Georgia Southern in the season-opener. Chloe Buckendahl became the second Bulldog will a double-double, finishing with 10 kills and 13 digs against No. 8 Florida State.
• Perri with the Block: Elena Perri has had a fast start to the 2012 season defensively. The junior owns a team and SEC-leading 29 blocks on the season, including six solo stops. Perri owns nearly half of the team’s total blocks for the season. Her season-best came against FIU, when she registered nine total blocks. She has led the team or tied for the team lead in four of Georgia’s six matches this season.
• Blocked: Georgia is rewriting the record books when it comes to the blocking this season. Georgia has totaled 62 blocks during the first six matches. Led by Perri with 29, the Bulldogs have a new program-best in total blocks in a four-set match with 17 vs. FIU. The Bulldogs also added new top-10 performances for blocks in a three-set match, finishing with 11 against Troy that ties for sixth-place and 10 against Georgia State that ties for seventh among the top-10 stats. The 24 block assists against FIU ties the program record in block assists in a three-set match, while the five solo blocks against FIU also ties for a program best.
• Eatmon: Redshirt freshman Jasmine Eatmon has added a balanced spark to the Bulldog lineup this season. Offensively, Eatmon leads the team with a .359 attack percentage, having played in each of Georgia’s 20 sets this season, and is fifth on the team with 30 kills. Defensively, Eatmon is second on the team with 20 blocks, including one solo stop. Eatmon came alive last weekend, finishing the weekend with 18 kills for a .405 attack percentage to go along with 10 blocks.