Freshman Makenzie Craft is 4-1 in singles play this year.
Oct. 13, 2012
ATHENS, Ga.--The Georgia women's tennis team remained perfect at the Bulldog Classic Saturday, adding to Friday's win totals with four doubles wins and four singles wins.
"It was really a great day for us," said head coach Jeff Wallace. "Our players were all on their games today playing fantastic tennis and it really looked good."
In the first round of doubles, Maho Kowase and Lilly Kimbell, ranked 50th in the country, overwhelmed a split team of Indiana's Gabrielle Rubenstein and Virginia's Maria Fuccillo, 8-1. The Bulldogs' 30th ranked tandem of Lauren Herring and Kate Fuller topped the Hoosiers' Carolyn Chupa and Katie Klyczek, 8-6.
In the second round of doubles, Georgia took two doubles results from Virginia. Herring and Fuller picked up their second ranked win of the season, beating 41st-ranked Li Xi and Stephanie Nauta, 8-5. Kimbell and Kowase topped Macie Epstein and Erin Vierra by an identical score.
In the afternoon, four Bulldogs matched up against Indiana for singles competition. Georgia's 53rd-ranked Herring was first to win with a 6-2, 6-0 defeat of IU's Chupa. With the win, Herring improves to 6-1. Later, Fuller, ranked 62nd nationally, picked up her fifth win of the year by beating Sophie Garre, 6-0, 6-1. Kowase, ranked 37th, was too much for Kauss, beating the Hoosier 6-1, 6-1. The win marks Kowase's 10th singles victory this year. Freshman Makenzie Craft finished off the day with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Rubenstein. The Georgia freshman improves to 4-1 this year.
Georgia will return on Sunday with one round of singles at 10 a.m. All matches take place at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex and admission is free.
Day 2 - Bulldog Classic
Saturday, October 13
(30) Kate Fuller/Lauren Herring (UGA) def. Carolyn Chupa/Katie Klyczek (IU) 8-6
(50) Maho Kowase/Lilly Kimbell (UGA) def. *Gabrielle Rubenstein (IU)/Maria Fuccillo (UVA) 8-1
*Split team IU/UVA
(30) Kate Fuller/Lauren Herring (UGA) def. (41) Li Xi/Stephanie Nauta (UVA) 8-5
(50) Maho Kowase/Lilly Kimbell (UGA) def. Erin Vierra/Macie Epstein (UVA) 8-5
(37) Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Alecia Kauss (IU), 6-1, 6-1
(62) Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Sophie Garre (IU), 6-0, 6-1
(53) Lauren Herring (UGA) def. Carolyn Chupa (IU), 6-2, 6-0
Makenzie Craft (UGA) def. Gabrielle Rubenstein (IU), 6-1, 6-2