May 14, 2011
ATHENS, Ga. --- The eighth-ranked Georgia women's tennis team cruised to a 4-0 win over Marist in the first round of the 2011 NCAA Tournament Saturday at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex. The Bulldogs will face No. 26 Alabama Sunday at 2 p.m. for a berth in the NCAA Championships to be held in Stanford, Calif.
In the process, Georgia senior Cameron Ellis tied former Bulldog Naoko Ueshima for first place on the school's career singles and doubles wins list. The Roswell, Ga., native won her singles and doubles matches Saturday, bringing her career win total to 222.
"I thought it was a well-played match today," said Georgia head coach Jeff Wallace. "We came out with some new doubles teams and performed well. We played good tennis on every court in singles.
"I was so thrilled to see Cameron Ellis get her 222nd win, which puts her in a tie for the all-time career wins in singles and doubles at Georgia. What an honor. She's had such a remarkable career. Tomorrow she has a chance to own the record, and let's hope that happens."
Georgia (17-4) took the doubles point for an early 1-0 lead. The Bulldogs' pair of Chelsey Gullickson and Nadja Gilchrist defeated Marist's Kelsey Raynor and Erin McCarthy 8-1. The point clincher came from Ellis and Maho Kowase over Jeannie Lukin and Retta Byron 8-0.
Ellis, ranked No. 86 nationally, continued the Bulldog's momentum as she posted a 6-0,6-0 win over Kayla O'Donovan. No. 59 nationally, Gilchrist was next off the court after taking a 6-0,6-1 victory over McCarthy. Freshman Lilly Kimbell cruised past Marielle Campbell 6-0,6-0 to clinch the match and advance the Bulldogs to the second round against Alabama.
Georgia edged the Crimson Tide 4-3 in the two teams' first meeting on March 6.
"Alabama won doubles the first time we played and won two of the singles matches to go ahead 3-0," Wallace said. "We know it's going to be a good match. It's two great SEC teams playing against each other."
Marist ends its season at 13-8.
Tennis Match Results
Marist vs Georgia
May 14, 2011 at Athens, Ga.
(Dan Magill Tennis Complex)
#8 Georgia 4, Marist 0
1. #25 Chelsey Gullickson (UGA) vs. Kelsey Raynor (MAR) 6-2, 0-1, unfinished
2. #59 Nadja Gilchrist (UGA) def. Erin McCarthy (MAR) 6-0, 6-1
3. #79 Maho Kowase (UGA) vs. Joana Sun (MAR) 6-0, 5-0, unfinished
4. Lilly Kimbell (UGA) def. Marielle Campbell (MAR) 6-0, 6-0
5. #86 Cameron Ellis (UGA) def. Kayla O'Donovan (MAR) 6-0, 6-0
6. Kate Fuller (UGA) vs. Jeannie Lukin (MAR) 6-0, 4-1, unfinished
1. Chelsey Gullickson/Nadja Gilchrist (UGA) def. Kelsey Raynor/Erin McCarthy (MAR) 8-1
2. Kate Fuller/Lilly Kimbell (UGA) vs. Joana Sun/Marielle Campbell (MAR) 5-3, unfinished
3. Maho Kowase/Cameron Ellis (UGA) def. Jeannie Lukin/Retta Byron (MAR) 8-0
Georgia 16-4; National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (5,2,4)
Official: Walt Williams T-1:45