May 11, 2012
"We are a 100 percent confident right now, in great physical shape and it was fun to get out on the courts again and play a match because we haven't had one since the SEC Tournament," said Gullickson. "We'll be ready for Clemson. I know we played them already this year but that was three months ago and they have a different lineup and the matchups will be different too."
In doubles, the No. 1 Bulldog team of Gilchrist and Kate Fuller, ranked No. 46 nationally, was the first to finish, cruising to an 8-1 win over Samantha Maddox and Irene Viana. Then at No. 3, the duo of Lilly Kimbell and Maho Kowase clinched the team point with an 8-3 victory over Katie Lee and Christin Newman. It was a school record-setting win for the duo, their 20th straight this season and moved their overall record to 22-2. The No. 2 match was halted with Gullickson and Herring leading 7-3 with a match point. In the postseason, matches are halted once the double point and overall contest winner has been decided.
In singles, Gullickson dispatched Newman 6-0,6-1 in the No. 1 contest for a 2-0 Bulldog lead. She has a team-best 32-8 singles mark. Gilchrist registered a 6-4,6-1 win over Kelly Kambourelis at No. 2 for a 3-0 edge. Herring clinched the win at No. 4, defeating Maddox 6-2,6-3. It was a team-leading seventh match-clinching win for Herring. She had been out with an arm injury since April 1.
"I thought we came out and played really well;
The previous record for consecutive doubles victories was 19 by the All-American duo of Marissa Catlin and Vanessa Castellano set in 1999.
1. #7 Chelsey Gullickson (UG) def. Christin Newman (COFC) 6-0, 6-1
2. Nadja Gilchrist (UG) def. Kelly Kambourelis (COFC) 6-4, 6-1
3. #58 Maho Kowase (UG) vs. Caroline Newman (COFC) 6-4, 2-0, unfinished
4. #70 Lauren Herring (UG) def. Samantha Maddox (COFC) 6-2, 6-3
5. #96 Kate Fuller (UG) vs. Jenny Falcone (COFC) 6-4, 3-2, unfinished
6. Alina Jerjomina (UG) vs. Katie Lee (COFC) 6-4, 2-0, unfinished
1. #46 Kate Fuller/Nadja Gilchrist (UG) def. Samantha Maddox/Irene Viana (COFC) 8-1
2. Chelsey Gullickson/Lauren Herring (UG) vs. Jenny Falcone/Kelly Kambourelis (COFC) 7-3, unfinished
3. Lilly Kimbell/Maho Kowase (UG) def. Katie Lee/Christin Newman (COFC) 8-3
Georgia 22-4; National ranking #6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (1,2,4)
NCAA First Round
Official: Jim Russell T-2:15 A-134