Highlights from Georgia women's tennis 4-0 victory over Elon in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.
May 9, 2014
ATHENS, Ga.--Georgia's three seniors led the top-seeded Bulldogs into the second round of the 2014 NCAA Tournament Friday afternoon beating Elon 4-0 at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex.
After Georgia cruised to the doubles point, Lilly Kimbell, Kate Fuller and Maho Kowase each notched a win in singles to secure the Bulldog win. After the match, the trio of Bulldog seniors hustled to Sanford Stadium to participate in UGA's Friday night Commencement Ceremony.
The Bulldogs will take on No. 37 Florida State Seminoles (16-12) on Saturday at approximately 4 p.m. in the second round. Georgia will be attempting to advance to the Round of 16 for the fourth consecutive year.
"I thought our players played well," said head coach Jeff Wallace. "We've been practicing so hard and it's been a long break. It's nice to be back on the competition courts. You always wonder what the [first match] is going to be like after the break, but I thought we came out and played well all match long. It was especially exciting to see the three seniors get the three singles wins."
In doubles, Lilly Kimbell and Caroline Brinson were first off the court with an 8-2 win over Bryn Khoury and Taylor Casey. Shortly after, the No. 2 pair of Lauren Herring and Maho Kowase beat Jordan Johnston and Barbora Lazarova, 8-2. The clinch was Herring and Kowase's seventh of the season, as they improved 30-6 this season. The No. 19 duo of Kate Fuller and Silvia Garcia were leading their match 7-1 when it was suspended.
In singles, Georgia won all six first sets, including four shutouts. No. 102 Kimbell was first off the court with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Barbora Lazarova. The win was Kimbell's 28th of the season. Minutes later, Fuller topped Maria Camara Ruiz 6-0, 6-2 to put Georgia up 3-0. No. 20 Kowase sent Georgia into the second round, topping Bryn Khoury 6-1, 6-1. Kowase leads the team with 37 wins this season.
Mia King and Lauren Herring were each just a game away from a victory, and Silvia Garcia was fresh off a first-set win when the remaining singles matches were suspended.
Georgia's second round match with Florida State is scheduled to start at 4 p.m. but will take place after both first round men's matches, set to take place at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. For ticket information, log onto Georgiadogs.com. Live scoring/video, as well as the Georgia Live Chat, will be available on Georgiadogs.com on Saturday.
#1 GEORGIA (22-4) def. #75 ELON (15-9), 4-0
Doubles (Order of finish: 3,1)
1. #2 Lauren Herring/Maho Kowase (GEORGIA) def. Jordan Johnston/Barbora Lazarova (ELON), 8-2
2. #19 Kate Fuller/Silvia Garcia (GEORGIA) vs. Frida Jansaker/Maria Camara Ruiz (ELON), 7-1, unf.
3. Lilly Kimbell/Caroline Brinson (GEORGIA) def. Bryn Khoury/Taylor Casey (ELON), 8-2
Singles (Order of finish: 4,5,3)
1. #6 Lauren Herring (GEORGIA) vs. Jordan Johnston (ELON), 6-0, 5-2, unf.
2. #15 Silvia Garcia (GEORGIA) vs. Frida Jansaker (ELON), 6-4, unf.
3. *#20 Maho Kowase (GEORGIA) def. Bryn Khoury (ELON), 6-1, 6-1
4. #102 Lilly Kimbell (GEORGIA) def. Barbora Lazarova (ELON), 6-0, 6-0
5. Kate Fuller (GEORGIA) def. Maria Camara Ruiz (ELON), 6-0, 6-2
6. Mia King (GEORGIA) vs. Tolley Rice (ELON), 6-0, 5-1, unf.