April 16, 2011
KNOXVILLE, TENN. --- Paced by three veterans on Senior Day, 16th-ranked Tennessee upset eighth-ranked Georgia 5-2 Saturday at the Goodfriend Indoor Tennis Center.
With the win, the Lady Vols (16-7, 9-2 SEC) captured the second seed for next week's SEC Tournament that will be held on the UT campus. The Bulldogs fell to 15-3 overall and 9-2 in the SEC. They will be the No. 3 seed for the tournament. Second-ranked Florida won the SEC regular season title and will be the top seed.
UT swept the doubles and then picked up four wins in singles to claim the victory. Leading 1-0, UT went up 2-0 when 44th-ranked Brynn Boren defeated freshman Alexandra Anghelescu 6-0,6-3 in the No. 3 contest.
Georgia evened the match, getting wins from junior Chelsey Gullickson at No. 1 and freshman Lilly Kimbell at No. 4 . The 35th-ranked Gullickson dispatched 32nd-ranked Natalie Pluskota 6-4,6-4. Gullickson is now 11-5 overall including 5-3 in SEC action. Kimbell posted a 7-6(5),6-1 win over Kata Szekely. Kimbell improved to 25-8 and a sterling 10-1 SEC mark.
UT senior Maria Sorbello beat 67th-ranked senior Cameron Ellis 6-1,6-4 to pull ahead 3-2. Then, senior Rosalia Alda clinched the victory for the Lady Vols at No. 2 when she held off freshman Maho Kowase 7-5,6-4. The final match to conclude came at No. 6 which UT won in three sets for the final margin.
"Tennessee played a fantastic match, and you have to give them credit from coming out on their Senior Day and performing extremely well," said Georgia coach Jeff Wallace. "We've got to work on a few things and then get ready to come back here for the SEC Tournament next week. I was pleased with Chelsey and Lilly as they came through with a couple of great wins for us in the singles."
#16 Tennessee 5, #8 Georgia 2
Goodfriend Indoor Tennis Center/April 16, 2011
1. #38 Pluskota/Boren (UT) def. #11 Gullickson/Fuller (UGA) 8-4
2. Alda/Sorbello (UT) def. #48 Kimbell/Gilchrist (UGA) 8-3
3. Szekely/Meredith (UT) def. Anghelescu/Ellis (UGA) 8-4
1. #35 Chelsey Gullickson (UGA) def. #32 Natalie Pluskota (UT) 6-4,6-4
2. #113 Rosalia Alda (UT) def. #91 Maho Kowase (UGA) 7-5,6-4
3. #44 Brynn Boren (UT) def. #111 Alexandra Anghelescu (UGA) 6-0,6-3
4. Lilly Kimbell (UGA) def. Kata Szekely (UT) 7-6(5),6-1
5. Maria Sorbello (UT) def. #67 Cameron Ellis (UGA) 6-1,6-4
6. Millie Nichols (UT) def. Kate Fuller (UGA) 4-6,6-4,6-3
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,1,4,5,2,6)
Georgia now 15-3, 9-2 SEC; UT now 17-6, 9-2 SEC