April 13, 2014
ATHENS, Ga.--The No. 8 Georgia women's tennis team concluded the regular season with a win, beating No. 24 Auburn 4-0 on Sunday at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex.
"Our team was faced with some adversity [on Friday], but we responded well," said head coach Jeff Wallace. "Our seniors did a great job today on Senior Day. It was a very exciting atmosphere out here today. We played high-level tennis all day. I'm really proud of all of the whole team."
Georgia will await its seeding for next week's SEC Tournament, set to be announced by the conference office Sunday evening.
Sunday's match also served as the final regular season home match for seniors Kate Fuller, Lilly Kimbell and Maho Kowase. The trio have led Georgia to an 85-17 record so far in their careers.
Georgia cruised in the doubles point, winning matches on courts two and three. The No. 81 pairing of Lilly Kimbell and Caroline Brinson topped Paula de Man and Michala Kucharova 8-3. Shortly after, the No. 28 duo of Kate Fuller and Silvia Garcia beat Jackie Kasler and Jen Pfeifler, 8-2. Lauren Herring and Maho Kowase, the second-ranked pair in the country, led No. 14 Pleun Burgmans and Emily Flickinger 7-4 when the doubles point was clinched and their match was suspended.
In singles, Fuller raced to a 6-0, 6-1 win over Jackie Kasler to pick up her 20th win of the season. She finished the match in 48 minutes and lost just four points in her first set. Fellow senior Kowase, ranked No. 19 in the country, topped Paula de Man 6-2, 6-2. With the win, Kowase tied former All-American Chelsey Gullickson's all-time career mark for combined singles and doubles wins with 230. No. 14 Garcia clinched the match with a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Paula de Man. Garcia has won five matches in a row.
The Bulldogs will travel to Columbia, Mo. for the SEC Tournament on Wednesday. Georgia's first match will be on Friday in the quarterfinal round against an opponent to be determined.
#8 Georgia 4, #24 Auburn 0
1. #7 Lauren Herring (UGA) vs. #36 Pleun Burgmans (AU) 6-4, 1-1, unfinished
2. #14 Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. #105 Emily Flickinger (AU) 6-2, 6-1
3. #19 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Paula de Man (AU) 6-2, 6-1
4. #73 Lilly Kimbell (UGA) vs. Michala Kucharova (AU) 7-5, 3-3, unfinished
5. Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Jackie Kasler (AU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Mia King (UGA) vs. Jen Pfeifler (AU) 6-2, 5-1, unfinished
1. #8 Lauren Herring/Maho Kowase (UGA) def. #14 Pleun Burgmans/Emily Flickinger (AU) 7-4
2. #28 Silvia Garcia/Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Jackie Kasler/Jen Pfeifler (AU) 8-2
3. #81 Caroline Brinson/Lilly Kimbell (UGA) def. Paula de Man/Michala Kucharova (AU) 8-3
Auburn 17-8, 6-7; National ranking #24
Georgia 18-4, 11-2; National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (,2,3); Singles (5,3,2)
Official: Clark Weaver A-315