Bulldogs Shut Out Tigers, 7-0
April 5, 2013
ATHENS, Ga. - Third-ranked Georgia (16-2, 9-1) picked up its sixth consecutive win with a 7-0 shutout over 59th-ranked LSU on Friday afternoon. Coach Jeff Wallace is now only one win shy of his 600th career win.
This is Georgia's 36th consecutive win over LSU since 1985. Georgia's improves its record against the Tigers to 36-4, with an 18-3 mark in Athens.
"It was a great match," said Wallace. "It was competitive, but we really stepped it up today. All of our players are improving at the right time and playing some great tennis. I'm excited about this team and how hard the girls are competing."
The Bulldogs secured the doubles point with quick wins on courts one and three. The fourth-ranked doubles pair of Kate Fuller and Silvia Garcia improved their record to 17-1. Ayaka Okuno and Mia King competed for the first time as a doubles team and won on court three. After Georgia clinched the doubles point, court two did not play out.
In singles, 18th-ranked Maho Kowase clinched the Georgia win on court two, 6-0, 6-2. This marks Kowase's 10th consecutive win and 13th of the season. Kate Fuller went 6-1, 6-0 on court four, claiming the first singles win and bringing her overall record to 24-6. Ayaka Okuno, in her first appearance for Georgia, quickly followed on court five with a score of 6-0, 6-0.
With the match outcome already decided, the remaining courts played out. Silvia Garcia, ranked 86th nationally, won a tough-fought battle against LSU's Mary Jeremiah on court three with a final score of 6-4, 6-4, and improved her record to 18-2. Lauren Herring, ranked 8th in the country, defeated LSU's only ranked player, 114th-ranked Kaitlin Burns, 6-2, 6-2 for her 31st win of the year. Finally, Mia King capped off the shutout 6-2, 6-4 on court six and boosted her record to 13-5.
The Bulldogs will return to action against 50th-ranked Arkansas on Sunday for their final regular season home match. Competition will begin at 1 p.m. at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex, and admission is free.
No. 3 Georgia 7, No. 59 LSU 0
1. #8 Lauren Herring (UGA) def. #114 Kaitlin Burns (LSU) 6-2, 6-2
2. #18 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Ella Taylor (LSU) 6-0, 6-2
3. #86 Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. Mary Jeremiah (LSU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Ariel Morton (LSU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Ayaka Okuno (UGA) def. Ebie Wilson (LSU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Mia King (UGA) def. Caroline Hudson (LSU) 6-2, 6-4
1. #4 Kate Fuller/Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. Mary Jeremiah/Ariel Morton (LSU) 8-1
2. #59 Lauren Herring/Maho Kowase (UGA) vs. Ebie Wilson/Keri Frankenberger (LSU); unfinished
3. Mia King/Ayaka Okuno (UGA) def. Kaitlin Burns/Ella Taylor (LSU) 8-2
LSU 8-13 (1-10); National ranking #59
Georgia 16-2 (9-1); National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (4,5,2,3,1,6)
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Ticket Home Page
- Student Tickets Information
- Buy Tickets Online
- Student Ticket Request
- Online Promo Codes
- Student Ticket Donation
- Wheelchair Accessible Seating
- Faculty Staff Tickets
- Player Guest Tickets
- Ticket Transfer/Donation
- Group Tickets
- Bulldog Club
- Bulldog Club Home
- Football Skysuites
- About the Club
- Football Priority Seating
- Donate Online
- Football Ticket Cutoff Scores
- Request Fund Information
- Georgia vs. Florida
- Contact the Club
- Things to Do
- Visiting Athens
- Game Promotions
- Campus Maps
- Fan Contests
- Driving Directions
- Charitable Requests
- Scoreboard Greetings
- Tailgating Policies