April 4, 2014
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark.—The No. 2 Georgia women’s tennis team continued its winning ways Friday, beating No. 47 Arkansas 4-0 at the Billingsley Tennis Center. With the win, the Bulldogs improve to 16-3 overall and 9-1 in conference action to remain one of three teams in the SEC with just one loss.
“I thought today was a good match,” said head coach Jeff Wallace. “Our team stepped up and did a great job, especially with [Lauren Herring] not out there. It’s always good to get an SEC road win and we’re looking forward to LSU on Sunday.”
Georgia outdid Arkansas for the doubles point and then won three singles matches to capture its fourth shutout in its last five matches.
In doubles, Georgia’s duo of Mia King and Maho Kowase beat Arkansas’ Sarah McLean and Shannon Hudson 8-4. Shortly after, the No. 25 pair of Kate Fuller and Silvia Garcia clinched the doubles point with an 8-5 win over Kimberley-Ann Surin and Brittany Huxley.
In singles, Mia King started the scoring with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Arkansas’ Brittany Huxley. Later, Fuller picked up her fourth win in a row and gave the Bulldogs a 3-0 lead when she beat Sasha Shkorupeieva, 6-4, 6-2. Maho Kowase, ranked No. 21 in the country, clinched the Bulldog win with a 6-4, 6-1 victory over the Razorbacks’ Yang Pang. It was Kowase’s third match clincher of the season. The remaining matches were suspended after the match was clinched.
Arkansas, which beat Louisiana Tech Friday morning, falls to 13-12 overall and 2-9 in conference action.
Georgia will travel to Baton Rouge, La. to square of with LSU on Sunday at 12 p.m. ET. Live scoring will be available on Georgiadogs.com.
No. 2 Georgia def. No. 47 Arkansas, 4-0
1) Shannon Hudson (ARK) led No. 19 Silvia Garcia (UGA) 6-5 unf.
2) No. 21 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Yang Pang (ARK) 6-4, 6-1
3) Sarah McLean (ARK) led No. 63 Lilly Kimbell (UGA) 6-2, 4-4
4) Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Oleksandra Shkorupeieva (ARK) 6-4, 6-2
5) Caroline Brinson (UGA) led Kimberley - Ann Surin (ARK) 6-4, 1-4
6) Mia King (UGA) def. Brittany Huxley (ARK) 6-3, 6-1
1) No. 25 Fuller/Garcia (UGA) def. Surin/Huxley (ARK) 8-5
2) Pang/Shkorupeieva (ARK) vs. No. 68 Kimbell/Brinson (UGA) 6-6 unf.
3) King/Kowase (UGA) def. McLean/Hudson (ARK) 8-4
Order of Finish: Doubles (3, 1); Singles (6, 4, 2)