Freshman Lauren Herring
April 1, 2012
Nashville, Tenn.--- Seventh-ranked Georgia edged the 25th ranked Commodores Sunday afternoon 4-3.
The Bulldogs (17-2, 7-1 SEC) lost the doubles point but rallied back in singles with wins on courts 1, 2, 4, and 6.
In doubles, the Georgia pair of Maho Kowase and Lilly Kimbell blanked Vanderbilt’s Nelly Radeva and Megan Gornet, 8-0. Kowase and Kimbell move their winning streak to 15 with a perfect 7-0 record in SEC play. Vanderbilt fired back on court two as Ashleigh Antal and Marie Casares downed the Georgia duo of Kate Fuller and Lauren Herring, 8-3. The Commodores clinched the doubles point with Jackie Wu and Lauren Mira topping the Bulldog tandem of Chelsey Gullickson and Nadja Gilchrist, 8-3.
“Today was a great epic battle,” said head Coach Jeff Wallace. “Vanderbilt played fantastic.”
The Bulldogs battled through singles as sophomore Kimbell quickly evened the match score with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Gornet on court six. The Bulldog’s continued to move forward as senior Gullickson, ranked 8th nationally, ousted Wu 6-0, 6-2. Vanderbilt tied the match score 2-2 after Radeva defeated Fuller 6-2, 6-4. Georgia’s Kowase, ranked 50th nationally was next off as she downed Antal 6-3, 2-6, 6-3. Vanderbilt’s Casares outlasted Georgia senior Gilchrist 6-0, 4-6, 3-6 to tie the match 3-3. For her seventh match clincher of the season, Bulldog freshman Lauren Herring knocked off Vanderbilt’s Mira 7-6, 0-6, 7-5.
“I’m very proud of Lauren,” added Wallace. “She started cramping and had to take an injury timeout. She ended up having to serve underhanded to finish out the match.”
The Bulldogs are back in action Friday at 4 p.m. as they take on 13th ranked Alabama at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex.
No. 7 Georgia 4, No. 25 Vanderbilt 3
- Wu/Mira (VUW) def def. #8 Gullickson/Gilchrist (UGA) 8-3
- Anta/Casares (VUW) def. Fuller/Herring (UGA) 8-3
- Kowase/Kimbell (UGA) def. Radeva/Gornet (VUW) 8-0
- #8 Chelsey Gullickson (UGA) def. Jackie Wu (VUW) 6-0,6-2
- #60 Lauren Herring (UGA) def. Lauren Mira (VUW) 7-6(4),0-6,7-5
- Marie Casares (VUW) def. Nadja Gilchrist (UGA) 0-6,6-4,6-3
- #50 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Ashleigh Antal (VUW) 6-3,2-6,6-3
- Kelly Radeva (VUW) def #80 Kate Fuller (UGA) 6-2, 6-4
- Lilly Kimbell (UGA) def. Megan Gornet (VUW) 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: Double (3,2,1); Singles (6,1,5,4,3,2)
Team Records: UGA (17-2, 7-1 SEC); VUW (13-7, 5-3 SEC)