April 1, 2011
Athens, Ga. --- The No. 7 Bulldogs continued their eleven-match winning streak and improve to 7-0 in SEC play after beating the Ole Miss Rebels 6-1.
Incidentally, the Bulldogs have not been 7-0 in the SEC since the 2003 season when they defeated Ole Miss 5-2 for the seventh win.
"I thought we played the best doubles all year today which was really fantastic, and I really felt like Ole Miss really came out and played great singles against us," said head coach Jeff Wallace. "I was very proud to see Kate clinch the match. She came back after losing the first set and that was really outstanding."
The Bulldogs took an early lead after Ellis defeated Abby Guthrie 6-0,6-0. Kimbell continued the momentum with a win over Laura van de Stroet 6-2,6-4. Fuller clinched the match, her second clinch of the season, with a 4-6,6-1,6-0 win over Vivian Vlaar.
"I thought Old Miss played a great match today, and I was happy with the way I finished in the second and third sets today," said freshman Kate Fuller. "I felt like I really stepped up my game in the second set, and my teammates were really motivating and inspirational to me to help me finish it."
The Bulldogs are back in action on Sunday against
1. #30 Kristi Boxx (MISS) def. #91 Maho Kowase (UGA) 7-5, 6-3
2. #70 Nadja Gilchrist (UGA) def. #119 Connor Vogel (MISS) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-6)
3. Alexandra Anghelescu (UGA) def. Caroline Rohde-Moe (MISS) 6-2, 6-7, 1-0 (10-6)
4. Lilly Kimbell (UGA) def. Laura van de Stroet (MISS) 6-2, 6-4
5. #87 Cameron Ellis (UGA) def. Abby Guthrie (MISS) 6-0, 6-0
6. Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Vivian Vlaar (MISS) 4-6, 6-1, 6-0
1. #9 Chelsey Gullickson/Kate Fuller (UGA) def. #23 Kristi Boxx/Abby Guthrie (MISS) 8-1
2. #50 Lilly Kimbell/Nadja Gilchrist (UGA) def. Connor Vogel/Gabby Rangel (MISS) 8-2
3. Cameron Ellis/Alexandra Anghelescu (UGA) def. Caroline Rohde-Moe/Vivian Vlaar (MISS) 8-2
Ole Miss 9-7; National ranking #27
Georgia 13-1; National ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,4,1,6,2,3)