Freshman Silvia Garcia won her 15th match of the year.
March 29, 2013
ST. LOUIS--The No. 5 Georgia women's tennis team captured its second straight shutout, beating No. 58 Missouri 4-0 Friday afternoon at the Dwight Davis Tennis Center in St. Louis, Mo.
"I thought we really came here and played well," said head coach Jeff Wallace. "We played some really good doubles and were able to get the clinch [on courts two and three] and in singles all of our players were playing at an extremely high level. It was a really good match for us today."
The match was originally scheduled to be played at 5 p.m. in Columbia, Mo., but was moved to St. Louis at 2 p.m. due to weather concerns.
Georgia took the doubles points with 8-4 wins on courts two and three. The duo of Lilly Kimbell and Mia King beat the Tigers' Elisha Gabb and Madison Rhyner. Early in the match, Georgia trailed 0-2 but fought back, allowing the Tigers just two more games in the match. Shortly after, Lauren Herring and Maho Kowase, ranked 59th in the country, topped Maria Christensen and Rachel Stuhlmann. Georgia's Kate Fuller and Silvia Garcia, ranked 4th nationally, led their match 6-4, but play was suspended once the doubles point had been clinched.
In singles, Lilly Kimbell quickly beat Madison Rhyner 6-2, 6-0 to pick up her ninth win of the season and give Georgia a 2-0 lead. Next, 86th-ranked Silvia Garcia topped Maria Christensen 6-1, 6-1. The win marks Garcia's 17th of the season. Georgia clinched its 15th win of the season when Maho Kowase, ranked 18th in the nation, beat Rachel Stuhlmann, 6-1, 6-1. Kowase leads the team with five match clinchers this spring.
Eighth-ranked Herring led 6-1, 5-1 and Fuller led 6-1, 4-3 when the match was suspended.
Georgia will travel to College Station, Texas tomorrow for Sunday's match against No. 3 Texas A&M. The match is scheduled to start at noon ET and links to live scoring and video will be available on Georgiadogs.com.
No. 5 Georgia 4, No. 58 Missouri 0
1. #8 Lauren Herring (UGA) vs. #105 Cierra Gaytan-Leach (MU), 6-1, 5-1, uf
2. #18 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Rachel Stuhlmann (MU), 6-1, 6-1
3. #86 Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. Maria Christensen (MU), 6-1, 6-1
4. Kate Fuller (UGA) vs. Elisha Gabb (MU), 6-1, 4-3, uf
5. Mia King (UGA) vs. Alex Clark (MU) 6-7 (2-7), uf
6. Lilly Kimbell (UGA) def. Madison Rhyner (MU), 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish: (6, 3, 2)
1. #4 Fuller/Garcia (UGA) vs. Gaytan-Leach/Clark (MU), 6-4, uf
2. #59 Herring/Kowase (UGA) def. Christensen/Stuhlmann (MU), 8-4
3. Kimbell/King (UGA) def. Gabb/Rhyner (MU), 8-4
Order of finish: (3, 2)