Herring improved to 26-4 with Sunday's singles win.
March 23, 2014
NASHVILLE—The No. 3 Georgia women’s tennis team fell just short to No. 11 Vanderbilt 4-2 Sunday afternoon at the Currey Tennis Center. The Bulldogs won the doubles point but the Commodores rallied to win four of six singles matches to end Georgia’s nine-match winning streak.
“I thought we played some great doubles today,” said head coach Jeff Wallace. "It was really one of our better doubles points this year but you have to credit Vanderbilt for how they played in singles. They played some high level tennis so hats off to them. We’re going to have a good week of practice in Athens and then we’re really looking forward to getting back out on the courts with two home matches this weekend.”
In doubles, Caroline Brinson and Lilly Kimbell overwhelmed the Commodores Georgina Sellyn and Marie Casares, 8-1, for their sixth win in a row. A short time later, the No. 36 pair of Kate Fuller and Silvia Garcia clinched the point with an 8-4 win over No. 30 Ashleigh Antal and Sydney Campbell. It was Fuller and Garcia’s 20th win of the season.
In singles, Vanderbilt’s Antal outlasted King, 6-4, 6-0 to tie the match score at 1-1. Herring, ranked tenth in the country, then put Georgia back on top, beating No. 63 Georgina Sellyn 6-3, 6-2.
Vanderbilt, however, would win the next three singles matches, two of which stretched to third sets. The Commodores’ Frances Altick upset No. 15 Garcia 7-5, 6-2 to give Vanderbilt its second point of the afternoon and the match’s momentum. Shortly after, the Commodores took the lead when Casares outlasted No. 45 Kimbell 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 and then clinched the match when Campbell came from behind to knock off No. 21 Kowase 2-6, 7-5, 6-3.
The Bulldogs will return to Athens to play host to No. 7 Texas A&M on Friday at 5 p.m. and Missouri on Sunday at 1 p.m. All matches are held at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex and admission is free. Sunday’s match will be carried on ESPN3 as part of the USTA’s College MatchDay program, with singles being played prior to doubles.
Georgia vs Vanderbilt
March 23, 2014 at Nashville, Tenn.
(Currey Tennis Center)
#11 Vanderbilt 4, #3 Georgia 2
1. #10 Lauren Herring (UGA) def. #63 Georgina Sellyn (VU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Sydney Campbell (VU) def. #21 Maho Kowase (UGA) 2-6, 7-5, 6-3
3. Frances Altick (VU) def. #15 Silvia Garcia (UGA) 7-5, 6-2
4. Marie Casares (VU) def. #45 Lilly Kimbell (UGA) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
5. Courtney Colton (VU) vs. Kate Fuller (UGA) 3-6, 6-4, 6-5, unfinished
6. Ashleigh Antal (VU) def. Mia King (UGA) 6-4, 6-0
1. #3 Maho Kowase/Lauren Herring (UGA) vs. #38 Courtney Colton/Lauren Mira (VU) 6-4, unfinished
2. #36 Kate Fuller/Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. #30 Ashleigh Antal/Sydney Campbell (VU) 8-4
3. Caroline Brinson/Lilly Kimbell (UGA) def. Georgina Sellyn/Marie Casares (VU) 8-1
Georgia 13-3, 6-1; National ranking #3
Vanderbilt 14-4, 7-1 SEC; National ranking #11
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,1,3,4,2)