March 14, 2014
ATHENS, Ga.--The No. 12 Georgia women's tennis team extended its winning streak to seven matches, beating South Carolina 4-0 on Friday afternoon at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex.
"I thought that was our best doubles point of the year," said head coach Jeff Wallace. "The doubles play was great tennis from both teams. In singles, I was excited to see Mia [King] out here getting the second point 6-0, 6-0. That's a great follow-up for her after her huge victory against Virginia on Wednesday. I thought Kate [Fuller] bounced back nicely, clinching the match for us. Of course Maho [Kowase] just did what Maho does. She's unbelievable. It was a great match for us. We're looking forward to Sunday."
The Bulldogs move to 11-2 overall and remain undefeated in conference play.
Georgia garnered early match momentum after pulling out a tight doubles point. First, Caroline Brinson and Lilly Kimbell held off Caroline Dailey and Meghan Blevins for an 8-6 win. Just a minute later, the No. 36 duo of Kate Fuller and Silvia Garcia got a late break to beat Brigit Folland and Katerina Popova, 8-6 and clinch the point.
In singles, Georgia's Mia King and Maho Kowase quickly gave the Bulldogs a 3-0 lead. King notched her seventh win in a row with a 6-0, 6-0 shutout of Ximena Siles Luna and Kowase won her team-high 27th match of the year 6-0, 6-1 against Blevins.
Georgia clinched the win when Fuller outdid Caroline Dailey, 6-1, 6-3. The win snaps her two-match losing streak. Herring and Garcia led their matches when the outcome of the match was decided.
Georgia improves to 44-15 all-time against the Gamecocks, including four in a row.
On Sunday, Georgia is set to play to No. 3 Florida at 1 p.m. All matches are held at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex and admission is free. In the case inclement weather, the match will be moved indoors to the Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Courts.
#12 Georgia 4, #54 South Carolina 0
1. #10 Lauren Herring (UGA) vs. Elixane Lechemia (USC) 6-2, 4-2, unfinished
2. #15 Silvia Garcia (UGA) vs. Katerina Popova (USC) 6-3, 3-0, unfinished
3. #21 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. #112 Meghan Blevins (USC) 6-0, 6-1
4. #95 Lilly Kimbell (UGA) vs. #45 Brigit Folland (USC) 2-6, 1-5, unfinished
5. Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Caroline Dailey (USC) 6-1, 6-3
6. Mia King (UGA) def. Ximena Siles Luna (USC) 6-0, 6-0
1. #1 Lauren Herring/Maho Kowase (UGA) vs. #61 Elixane Lechemia/Dominika Kanakova (USC) 5-7, unfinished
2. #36 Kate Fuller/Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. Brigit Folland/Katerina Popova (USC) 8-6
3. Lilly Kimbell/Caroline Brinson (UGA) def. Caroline Dailey/Meghan Blevins (USC) 8-6
South Carolina 10-5 (1-3); National ranking #54
Georgia 11-2 (4-0); National ranking #12
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,3,5)
Official: Clark Weaver T-2:42 A-223