March 10, 2013
ATHENS, Ga.--Ninth-ranked Georgia stayed perfect in conference play, defeating Mississippi State 7-0 on Sunday at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex. Georgia swept the doubles point, and then won every singles match in two sets to complete the shutout.
Georgia (9-1, 3-0) now holds a 35-0 record against Mississippi State (5-6, 0-4), including an 18-0 mark in Athens.
"That was a well-played match," said head coach Jeff Wallace. "Everyone on the court was working on the things that we've been talking about [in practice] that we need to do to get better. From a coaches standpoint, it was a very exciting day because everyone was engaged, coachable and playing with some great Bulldog tenacity."
The freshmen duo of Mia King and Makenzie Craft shut out Mississippi State's Sarai Flores and Lien Van Geel on court three with a quick 8-0 win. Late on court two, Lauren Herring and Maho Kowase secured the doubles point with an 8-2 victory over Petra Ferancova and Georgiana Patrasc. With the doubles point clinched, the ninth-ranked doubles team of Kate Fuller and Silvia Garcia won in a tiebreaker, 8-7(6), maintaining their perfect record on the season.
In singles, Garcia, ranked 97th nationally, finished first and picked up her seventh consecutive victory 6-3, 6-2. She now has 12 wins this season and sports a team-high .923 winning percentage. Craft improved to 15-9 this season, beating Mississippi State's Flores 6-1, 6-2. Fuller, ranked 116th, clinched the Georgia victory on court four with a 6-1, 6-2 win and her 20th of the season.
Ninth-ranked Herring and 15th-ranked Kowase closed Sunday with 6-0, 6-1 and 6-3, 6-1 wins, respectively.
Georgia will return to the courts to host Notre Dame on Tuesday at 1 p.m. The match will be held at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex and admission is free.
Tennis Match Results
Mississippi State vs Georgia
Mar 10, 2013 at Athens, Ga.
(Dan Magill Tennis Complex)
#9 Georgia 7, Mississippi State 0
1. #9 Lauren Herring (UGA) def. Georgiana Patrasc (MSU) 6-0, 6-1
2. #15 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Alexandra Perper (MSU) 6-3, 6-1
3. #97 Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. Naomi Tran (MSU) 6-3, 6-2
4. #116 Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Petra Ferancova (MSU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Mia King (UGA) def. Lien Van Geel (MSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Makenzie Craft (UGA) def. Sarai Flores (MSU) 6-1, 6-2
1. #9 Kate Fuller/Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. Alexandra Perper/Naomi Tran (MSU) 8-7 (8-6)
2. Lauren Herring/Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Petra Ferancova/Georgiana Patrasc (MSU) 8-2
3. Mia King/Makenzie Craft (UGA) def. Sarai Flores/Lien Van Geel (MSU) 8-0
Mississippi State 5-6, 0-4
Georgia 9-1, 3-0; National ranking #9
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (13,6,4,5,2)