Lauren Herring won 6-0, 6-0 on singles.
March 9, 2014
OXFORD, Miss.—The No. 11 Georgia women’s tennis team completed its first SEC road trip of the year with a 5-2 win over Ole Miss. Georgia improves to 9-2 overall and 3-0 in conference play.
“We came out and did a great job today,” said head coach Jeff Wallace. “Our play in doubles was fantastic and then in singles we only lost six games between courts one, two and five, which made it 4-0 pretty quickly. I told the team, even Kate and Caroline, who fell short in singles, that they fought hard and did everything they could until the very end, which is what I like to see. It’s great to get two road SEC wins and now get back to Athens for our next three matches.”
In doubles, the Bulldogs clinched the doubles point when Caroline Brinson and Lilly Kimbell topped Zalina Khairudinova, 8-4. Georgia’s Lauren Herring and Maho Kowase, ranked second in the country, were first off the court with a quick 8-2 win against Erin Stephens and Iris Verboven.
With the doubles point in hand, Georgia won four first sets in route to its 5-2 win. No. 10 Herring picked up her 22nd win of the season when she blanked Khairudinova, 6-0, 6-0. Shortly after, No. 12 Silvia Garcia upended Caroline Rohde-Moe, 6-2, 6-1. King picked up her second match clincher of the year, beating Erin Stephens 6-1, 6-2. With the match clinched, No. 22 Kowase outlasted Juia Jones, 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-6). She now leads the team with 26 singles wins.
Ole Miss picked up a pair of points when Mai El Kamash beat Kate Fuller, 6-3, 6-0 and Verboven hung on to beat Brinson, 1-6, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7).
The Bulldogs improve to 36-8 all-time against the Rebels.
Georgia will play host to No. 5 Virginia on Wednesday at 10 a.m., before entertaining No. 35 South Carolina and No. 2 Florida this weekend at home.
Georgia 5, Ole Miss 2
March 9, 2014
1. Lauren Herring/Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Erin Stephens and Iris Verboven (MISS), 8-2
2. Kate Fuller/Silvia Garcia (UGA) vs. Caroline Rohde-Moe/Marija Milutinovic (MISS), 5-4
3. Caroline Brinson/Lilly Kimbell (UGA) def. Zalina Khairudinova/Julia Jones (MISS), 8-4
1. No. 10 Lauren Herring (UGA) def. Zalina Khairudinova (MISS), 6-0, 6-0
2. No. 12 Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. Caroline Rohde-Moe (MISS), 6-2, 6-2
3. No. 22 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Julia Jones (MISS), 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-6)
4. Mai El Kamash (MISS) def. Kate Fuller (UGA), 6-3, 6-0
5. Mia King (UGA) def. Erin Stephens (MISS), 6-1, 6-2
6. Iris Verboven (MISS) def. Caroline Brinson (UGA), 1-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-7)
Order of Finish: Doubles (1, 3) Singles (1, 2, 4, 5, 3, 6)