Senior Cameron Ellis clinched Sunday's win over Alabama.
March 6, 2011
ATHENS, Ga.-----Down 3-0, the 13th-ranked Georgia women’s tennis team stormed back to post a 4-3 road win over No. 34 Alabama Sunday.
Alabama (7-3, 0-1 SEC) claimed the doubles point for an early 1-0 advantage. At No 3, the 31st-ranked pair of Antonia Foehse and Mary Anne Macfarlane defeated Alexandra Anghelescu and Cameron Ellis 8-2. Then, Georgia’s 25th-ranked duo of Chelsey Gullickson and Kate Fuller upset the seventh-ranked team of Alexa Gurachi and Courtney McLane 8-4. The point came down to the No. 2 match where Alex Clay and Taylor Lindsey edged the 37th-ranked Georgia duo of Maho Kowase and Lilly Kimbell 9-7.
In singles, the Crimson Tide surged ahead with wins at No. 3 and 4 singles for a 3-0 lead. Clay defeated Anghelescu 6-1,6-2 at No. 4 and McLane defeated Nadja Gilchrist 6-4,6-1 at No. 3. Georgia began its comeback with a big win from junior Chelsey Gullickson at No. 1 singles. She got down 4-0 in the first set before rallying past 29th-ranked Macfarlane 7-5,6-2 to get the Bulldogs their first point. At No. 5, Kimbell dispatched Foeshse 6-4,6-3 to make it 3-2. At No. 2, Kowase upset Guarachi 6-4,7-5 to even the match at 3-all. Kowase, a freshman ranked 78th nationally, registered another victory over a ranked opponent as Guarachi is ranked No. 69. The match came down to the No. 6 contest.
Bulldog senior Cameron Ellis clinched the victory when she took care of Lindsey 6-3,6-3. Georgia improves to 6-1 overall and 2-0 in the SEC.
“Alabama came out and won a tough doubles point, and they had some momentum in the singles, but our team kept fighting and in the end, we came out with the victory,” said Georgia coach Jeff Wallace. “This was a great win on the road. We had to rally in a lot of our matches, and it’s nice to see us battle back. We got some big singles wins and Cameron closed it out for us today.”
Georgia vs Alabama
March 6, 2011 at Tuscaloosa, Ala.
(Alabama Tennis Stadium)
#13 Georgia 4, #34 Alabama 3
1. #48 Chelsey Gullickson (UGA) def. #29 Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) 7-5, 6-2
2. #78 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. #69 Alexa Guarachi (UA) 6-4, 7-5
3. #116 Courtney McLane (UA) def. #59 Nadja Gilchrist (UGA) 6-4, 6-1
4. Alex Clay (UA) def. Alexandra Anghelescu (UGA) 6-1, 6-2
5. Lilly Kimbell (UGA) def. Antonia Foehse (UA) 6-4, 6-3
6. #90 Cameron Ellis (UGA) def. Taylor Lindsey (UA) 6-3, 6-3
1. #25 Chelsey Gullickson/Kate Fuller (UGA) def. #7 Alexa Guarachi/Courtney McLane (UA) 8-4
2. Alex Clay/Taylor Lindsey (UA) def. #37 Maho Kowase/Lilly Kimbell (UGA) 9-7
3. #31 Antonia Foehse/Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) def. Alexandra Anghelescu/Cameron Ellis (UGA) 8-2
Georgia 6-1, 2-0 SEC; National ranking #13
Alabama 7-3, 0-1 SEC; National ranking #34
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,3,1,5,2,6)