March 4, 2011Final Stats
AUBURN, Ala. --- The No. 13 Georgia women's tennis team swept Auburn to win their first SEC match of the season.
The win moves the Bulldogs to 5-1 this season, and drops the Tigers to 2-8. It is Auburn's fourth consecutive loss.
The Bulldogs got off to a fast start by sweeping the doubles point. The duo of Alexandra Anghelescu and Cameron Ellis got things started with an 8-1 win over Auburn's Taylor Schreimann and Caroline Thornton at No. 3. The win was Anghelescu and Eliis' 11th of the season and eighth in a row. At No. 1, the 25th-ranked pair of Kate Fuller and Chelsey Gullickson beat the Tiger duo of Olivia Bennett and Jacqueline Kasler, 8-4. The win moves the pair to 6-1 this year and improves its winning streak to three. At No. 2, the freshman duo of Lilly Kimbell and Maho Kowase completed the doubles sweep with an 8-4 win over Plamena Kurteva and Paulina Schippers. The pair improves to 11-3 this year.
In singles, freshman Alina Jerjomina gave Georgia a 2-0 lead with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Auburn's Taylor Cohen. It's Jerjomina's 5th consecutive win and 12th of the year. At No. 4, 90th-ranked Ellis blanked the Tigers' Kasler, 6-0, 6-0. It's the senior's 18th win of the season. At No. 3, Kimbell clinched Georgia's first SEC match of the season with a dominating 6-1, 6-0 win over Auburn's Thornton. At No. 5, Fuller improved to 8-7 this year with a 6-2, 6-1 win against Kurteva. At No. 1, 78th-ranked Kowase beat Schippers, 6-2, 6-2. With the win, Kowase improves to 21-6 this year. Anghelescu completed the sweep at No. 2 for the Bulldogs and improved her overall record to 13-6 with a 6-7, 6-4, 1-0 win over Auburn's Bennett.
Georgia improves to 47-7 in its series with the Tigers. The Dogs are 12-1 against Auburn since 2000, including a 5-1 record in Auburn. The Georgia women's tennis team will travel to Tuscaloosa to face 34h-ranked Alabama on Sunday at 2 p.m. E.T.
#13 University of Georgia 7, Auburn 0
1. #78 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Paulina Schippers (AU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Alexandra Anghelescu (UGA) def. Olivia Bennett (AU) 6-7 (4), 6-4, 1-0 (13-11)
3. Lilly Kimbell (UGA) def. Caroline Thornton (AU) 6-1, 6-0
4. #90 Cameron Ellis (UGA) def. Jacqueline Kasler (AU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Plamena Kurteva (AU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Alina Jerjomina (UGA) def. Taylor Cohen (AU) 6-2, 6-1
1. #25 Kate Fuller/Chelsey Gullickson (UGA) def. Olivia Bennett/Jacqueline Kasler (AU) 8-4
2. Lilly Kimbell/Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Plamena Kurteva/Paulina Schippers (AU) 8-4
3. Alexandra Anghelescu/Cameron Ellis (UGA) def. Taylor Schreimann/Caroline Thornton (AU) 8-1
University of Georgia 5-1, Auburn 2-8
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,4,3,5,1,2)