March 1, 2014
ATHENS, Ga.--The No. 12 Georgia women's tennis opened up conference play with a win, beating No. 40 Tennessee 7-0 Saturday afternoon at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex.
"I thought we played pretty well today," said head coach Jeff Wallace. "I was pleased with how we got the wins at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles and I thought everyone played well in singles. We've been working hard. We were excited to come out and play a home match and our first SEC match of the year. I was impressed with our level of play all the way through today."
In doubles, the Bulldogs got early breaks on courts one and three to capture the doubles point. The second-ranked duo of Lauren Herring and Maho Kowase were first on the board with an 8-3 win over Eve Repic and Victoria Olivarez. The top Georgia duo now leads the team with 22 wins this season. Lilly Kimbell and Caroline Brinson picked up the doubles point clincher, their fourth of the season, with an 8-2 win over Ashlee Boles and Tiffany Tavares.
In singles, Georgia won all six first sets in route to the 7-0 sweep. On court three, No. 12 Garcia put the Bulldogs up 2-0 with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Tennessee's Olivarez. Shortly after, No. 10 Herring won 6-3, 6-0 over No. 55 Repic. The win is Herring's 20th of the season and 12th against a ranked opponent. No. 33 Kimbell clinched the match with a 6-3, 6-3 win over the Lady Vols' Lindl. Kimbell has now won four matches in a row.
With the result of the match already decided, freshman Brinson notched a 6-3, 6-4 win over Ambika Pande to put Georgia up 5-0. Later, Mia King outdid Tavares 6-3, 6-4 and No. 22 Kowase upended Guevremont, 6-1, 6-1.
The Bulldogs will travel to take on Mississippi State and No. 32 Ole Miss next weekend. Friday's match in Starkville will begin at 4 p.m. ET and Sunday's match in Oxford will begin at 2 p.m. ET.
#12 Georgia 7, #40 Tennessee 0
1. #10 Lauren Herring (UGA) def. #55 Eve Repic (TENN) 6-3, 6-0
2. #22 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Laurence Guevremont (TENN) 6-1, 6-1
3. #12 Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. Victoria Olivarez (TENN) 6-2, 6-0
4. #33 Lilly Kimbell (UGA) def. Brittany Lindl (TENN) 6-3, 6-3
5. Mia King (UGA) def. Tiffany Tavares (TENN) 6-3, 6-4
6. Caroline Brinson (UGA) def. Ambika Pande (TENN) 6-3, 6-4
1. #2 Lauren Herring/Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Eve Repic/Victoria Olivarez (TENN) 8-3
2. Kate Fuller/Silvia Garcia (UGA) vs. Laurence Guevremont/Brittany Lindl (TENN) 4-5, unfinished
3. Lilly Kimbell/Caroline Brinson (UGA) def. Ashlee Boles/Tiffany Tavares (TENN) 8-2
Tennessee 4-5; National ranking #40
Georgia 7-2; National ranking #12
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (3,1,4,6,5,2)