Feb. 23, 2014
ATLANTA, Ga.--The seventh-ranked Georgia women's tennis team shutout No. 25 Georgia Tech 7-0 Sunday at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex in Atlanta. With the win, the Bulldogs have now beaten the Yellow Jackets in four straight matches.
"We played a great match today," said head coach Jeff Wallace. "I thought our doubles was really exciting with everybody playing at a high level and we were able to get [the point]. In singles. I thought we really played well on every court. To win 7-0 is a huge win and it's a huge rivalry. I'm really thrilled that we could come here and get it done."
The fifth-ranked duo of Lauren Herring and Maho Kowase got a late break and fought to an 8-6 win over the nation's top-ranked duo of Megan Kurey and Kendal Woodard. Shortly after, Kate Fuller and Silvia Garcia finalized an 8-3 win over the Yellow Jackets' Natasha Prrokhnevska and Muriel Wacker.
In singles, Georgia took five first sets in route to six singles wins. Fuller was first off the court with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Anton-Ohlmeyer. Later, No. 6 Garcia gave Georgia a 3-0 lead after cruising to a 6-4, 6-2 win over Prokhnevska. Georgia clinched the match when No. 7 Herring topped No. 94 Woodard 6-2, 7-5.
With the outcome of the match already decided, No. 17 Kowase outlasted McAdoo, 7-5, 6-4 and Kimbell got past Kurey, 7-5, 7-6 (5). With the Bulldogs up 6-0, Brinson beat Anton-Ohlmeyer in strongly contested 6-7(6), 6-4, 1-0(10-8).
The Bulldogs will kick-off SEC play on Saturday against Tennessee at 12 p.m. The match will be held at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex and admission is free.
#7 Georgia def. #25 Georgia Tech, 7-0
Atlanta, Ga. - Byers Tennis Complex
February 23, 2014
1. #5 Lauren Herring/Maho Kowase (UGA) def. #1 Kendal Woodard/Megan Kurey (GT), 8-6
2. Silvia Garcia/Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Natasha Prokhnevska/Muriel Wacker (GT), 8-3
3. Lilly Kimbell/Caroline Brinson (UGA) vs. Rasheeda McAdoo/Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (GT), 5-6
1. #7 Lauren Herring (UGA) def. #94 Kendal Woodard (GT), 6-2, 7-5
2. #6 Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT), 6-2, 6-3
3. #17 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Rasheeda McAdoo (GT), 7-5, 6-4
4. #43 Lilly Kimbell (UGA) def. Megan Kurey (GT), 7-5, 7-6(5).
5. Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (GT), 6-4, 6-2
6. Caroline Brinson (UGA) def. Muriel Wacker (GT), 6-7(6), 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
Order of Finish: Doubles (1, 2), Singles (5, 2, 1, 3, 4, 6)