Kate Fuller fought back to tie the match at 3-3.
Feb. 9, 2014
ATHENS, Ga.—The fourth-ranked Georgia women’s tennis team fell to third-ranked North Carolina in a tightly contested 4-3 match. Georgia lost the doubles point, but charged back in singles to tie the match at three before No. 4 Lauren Herring fell to No. 2 Jamie Loeb 6-3, 3-6, 10-6.
"I think that we learned a lot this weekend up in Charlottesville and have found some things to work on,” said head coach Jeff Wallace. “We’re excited to get back to Athens, get back to work, and get ready for a great outdoor season."
Five of the six singles matches went to third-set super tiebreakers, with the Tar Heels winning three of them.
In doubles, the No. 12 duo Hayley Carter and Jamie Loeb beat Kate Fuller and Silvia Garcia and the No. 42 pair Laura Slater and Kate Vialle topped Lilly Kimbell and Caroline Brinson, both by scores of 6-2, to give North Carolina an early 1-0 lead.
In singles, Mia King came from behind to force a third set, but fell to Vialle 0-6, 6-4, 11-9. Georgia, however, roared back, tying the match at 2-2 when No. 25 Maho Kowase beat Caroline Price 7-5, 6-1 and No. 33 Kimbell outlasted No. 88 Whitney Kay, 4-6, 6-4, 10-8. The Tar Heel’s reclaimed the lead when No. 5 Carter hung on to beat No. 10 Garcia 6-2, 5-7, 10-4. After Fuller tied the match at 3-3 with a 7-6, 3-6, 10-5 win over No. 118 Ashley Dai, Loeb snuck by Herring in the third set to clinch the North Carolina win.
This weekend marked the final time in 2014 that the ITA’s experimental rules will be used. For the spring outdoor season, doubles matches will be played to eight games and third sets will not be shortened to super-tiebreakers.
Georgia will return to Athens and play host to Furman on Feb. 21 at 2 p.m. The match is scheduled to be played outdoors at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex and admission is free.
North Carolina 4, Georgia 3
Charlottesville, Va. (Boar's Head Sports Club)
1. #2 Jamie Loeb (NC) def. #4 Lauren Herring (UGA) 6-3, 3-6, 10-6
2. #5 Hayley Carter (NC) def. #10 Silvia Garcia (UGA) 6-2, 5-7, 10-4
3. #25 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Caroline Price (NC) 7-5, 6-1
4. #33 Lilly Kimbell (UGA) def. #88 Whitney Kay (NC) 4-6, 6-4, 10-8
5. Kate Fuller (UGA) def. #118 Ashley Dai (NC) 7-6, 3-6, 10-5
6. Kate Vialle (NC) def. Mia King (UGA) 0-6, 6-4, 11-9
1. #10 Caroline Price/Whitney Kay (NC) vs. #5 Lauren Herring/Maho Kowase (UGA) 5-4, unfinished
2. #12 Hayley Carter/Jamie Loeb (NC) def. Kate Fuller/Silvia Garcia (UGA) 6-2
3. #42 Laura Slater/Kate Vialle (NC) def. Lilly Kimbell/Caroline Brinson (UGA) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (6,3,4,2,5,1)