Feb. 8, 2014
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.—The fourth-ranked Georgia women’s tennis team fell just short to the eighth-ranked Cal Bears in the quarterfinals of the 2014 Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) National Team Indoor Championships, losing 4-3 Saturday afternoon at the Boars Head Tennis Club.
The Bulldogs (4-1) will play No. 3 North Carolina at 12 p.m. Sunday in a consolation match.
“First, Cal played a great match and we have to give them credit,” said head coach Jeff Wallace. “We came out and won the doubles point in were competitive in singles but Cal really played solid all afternoon. One thing that Georgia teams have always taken pride in is getting to that next match after losses and that's we plan on doing tomorrow. It's a great opportunity that we have and all of our players are looking forward to getting back out on the court.”
Georgia won the doubles point with wins at Nos. 2 and 3. Georgia’s pair of Lilly Kimbell and Caroline Brinson picked up their second doubles win of the weekend with a quick 6-2 win over Cal’s (4-0) Lynn Chi and Klara Fabikova. Georgia’s No. 5 duo of Lauren Herring and Maho Kowase clinched the point, using a late break to beat Cal’s Annett Schutting and Maegan Manasse, 7-5.
In singles, No.25 Kowase gave the Bulldogs a 2-0 lead after beating No. 95 Chi, 6-3, 6-2, but the Bears responded with three straight singles wins to take a 3-2 lead. Cal’s No. 16 Zsofi Susanyi beat No. 33 Kimbell 6-0, 6-4 and then No. 15 Starr just outlasted No. 10 Garcia 6-3, 4-6, 10-7 to tie the overall match score, 2-2. Later, Fabikova snuck past Fuller 7-5, 7-5 to give Cal a 3-2 lead. Georgia’s No. 4 Herring brought the match to a 3-3 tie with a 7-6(3), 6-1 win over the Bear’s No. 26 Schutting, but Cal clinched the match when No. 31 Manasse beat King, 7-6(5), 6-3.
Georgia is making its 24th program appearance at ITA National Team Indoors.
No. 8 Cal def. No. 4 Georgia, 4-3
Charlottesville, Va. at Boar's Head Sports Club
1. #4 Lauren Herring (UGA) def. #26 Annett Schutting (CAL), 7-6(3), 6-1
2. #15 Denise Starr (CAL) def. #10 Silvia Garcia (UGA), 6-3, 4-6, 10-7
3. #25 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. #95 Lynn Chi (CAL), 6-3, 6-2
4. #16 Zsofi Susanyi (CAL) def. #33 Lilly Kimbell (UGA), 6-0, 6-4
5. Klara Fabikova (CAL) def. Kate Fuller (UGA), 7-5, 7-5
6. #31 Maegan Manasse (CAL) def. Mia King (UGA), 7-6(5), 6-3
1. #5 Lauren Herring/Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Annett Schutting/Maegan Manasse (CAL), 7-5
2. Kate Fuller/Silvia Garcia (UGA) vs. Denise Starr/Kelly Chui (CAL), 5-4, unfinished
3. Lilly Kimbell/Caroline Brinson (UGA) def. Lynn Chi/Klara Fabikova (CAL), 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,4,2,5,1,6)