Maho Kowase secured the win for Georgia Sunday.
Feb. 5, 2012
The Bulldogs captured the doubles point and then won all six singles matches to shut out the Panthers (1-5) for the second time in as many weeks. Last Saturday,
In singles, Gullickson made it 2-0 with a 6-0,6-2 win over
"One of the fun things about college tennis is different players have the opportunity to get that fourth point to secure the victory," said
Sophomore Alina Jerjomina picked up a win at No. 6, defeating Djordjevic 6-1,6-1 to make it 5-0 Bulldogs. In lieu of a third set in the No. 2 contest between Herring and Maisak, a super tiebreaker was played. Herring prevailed 10-6 for a 6-0 Bulldog advantage. Fuller completed the sweep with a 7-5,6-4 victory over Guttormsen. It was the ninth consecutive win for Fuller who raised her record to 18-4.
"I had a tight match today and missed some opportunities in the second set including the tiebreaker," said Herring. "When we went to the 10-point tiebreaker, I knew it was important to get out to a good start, and I was able to do that."
Fans can chat online with Bulldog coach Jeff Wallace on Tuesday at 3 p.m. The 30-minute chat on Georgia Tennis will be on georgiadogs.com.
(Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Courts)
1. #2 Chelsey Gullickson (UGA) def. Sarah McLean (FIU) 6-0, 6-2
2. #52 Lauren Herring (UGA) def. Rita Maisak (FIU) 6-4, 6-7 (5-7), 1-0 (10-6)
3. Nadja Gilchrist (UGA) def. Lisa Johnson (FIU) 6-1, 6-0
4. #22 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Giulietta Boha (FIU) 6-2, 6-1
5. #56 Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Karyn Guttormsen (FIU) 7-5, 6-4
6. Alina Jerjomina (UGA) def. Nina Djordjevic (FIU) 6-1, 6-1
1. #2 Chelsey Gullickson/Nadja Gilchrist (UGA) def. Rita Maisak/Sarah McLean (FIU) 8-0
2. #60 Lauren Herring/Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Giulietta Boha/Karyn Guttormsen (FIU) 8-4
3. Lilly Kimbell/Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Nina Djordjevic/Lisa Johnson (FIU) 8-1
Florida International 2-4; National ranking #74
Georgia 6-0; National ranking #6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,3,4,6,2,5)
Official: Denise Hanson T-3:29 A-71