Jan. 15, 2012
For the second straight match,
In singles, Gullickson and Gilchrist registered straight set victories in under an hour to put the Bulldogs in front 3-0. Gilchrist was the first to finish, winning at No. 4, defeating Dorofeeva 6-2,6-1. At No. 1, the second-ranked Gullickson beat Grymel 6-0,6-1 to improve to a team-leading 16-2. Herring, a freshman ranked No. 52, recorded her first match-clinching victory. She defeated Munoz-Giron 6-2,6-0 in the No. 3 contest to put the Bulldogs in front 4-0. This year, Herring is now 14-4.
"It was cool to get my first clinch here at home and have all the support from the fans," said Herring. "It was another good win for the team and helps our confidence to play well this weekend."
In the No. 2 match, the 22nd-ranked Kowase took the first set 6-3 over Dhaoui who then rallied back in the second set 7-6 (8-6). In lieu of a third set, they opted to play a 10-point super tiebreaker to decide the match. Kowase claimed the match by taking the tiebreaker 10-8. The final two matches also went to the Bulldogs. At No. 5, Fuller defeated Ramirez-Vega 6-1,6-0. At No. 6, Kimbell beat El Hsissen 6-1,6-2.
"It's nice to be 2-0; we're off to a good start here at home and now we'll go on the road for our next match," said
1. #2 Chelsey Gullickson (UGA) def. Karoline Grymel (TU) 6-0, 6-1
2. #22 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Olfa Dhaoui (TU) 6-3, 6-7 (6-8), 1-0 (10-8)
3. #52 Lauren Herring (UGA) def. Candela Munoz Giron (TU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Nadja Gilchrist (UGA) def. Lyubov Dorofeeva (TU) 6-2, 6-1
5. #56 Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Rosaura Ramirez-Vega (TU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Lilly Kimbell (UGA) def. Samya El Hsissen (TU) 6-1, 6-2
1. #2 Nadja Gilchrist/Chelsey Gullickson (UGA) def. Karoline Grymel/Candela Munoz Giron (TU) 8-0
2. #60 Kate Fuller/Lauren Herring (UGA) def. Lyubov Dorofeeva/Samya El Hsissen (TU) 8-2
3. Lilly Kimbell/Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Olfa Dhaoui/Rosaura Ramirez-Vega (TU) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,1,3,2,6,5)
Official: Denise Hanson; Time: 3:10 Att.: 109