Jan. 13, 2012
ATHENS----Seventh-ranked Georgia claimed a 6-1 season-opening victory over No. 46 Kansas State Friday at the Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Courts.
Georgia (1-0) swept the doubles point for a 1-0 edge over the Wildcats. At No. 3, Nadja Gilchrist and Lilly Kimbell clinched the doubles point with an 8-4 win over Petra Chuda and Carli Wischhoff. A few seconds later, Kate Fuller and Lauren Herring completed an upset of the 28th-ranked KSU team of Petra Niedermayerova and Marketa Trousilova 8-4 in the No. 1 contest. The Fuller/Herring duo, ranked No. 60, improved to 14-6 this season including 5-1 against ranked opponents. A new Bulldog duo made their debut Friday as Chelsey Gullickson paired with Maho Kowase at No. 2. After falling behind 4-1 to Karla Bonancic and Carmen Borau Ramos, they stormed back for an 8-6 victory.
In singles, Herring made it 2-0 Bulldogs when she trounced Ana Gomez Aleman 6-1,6-0 at No. 3. Fuller, playing at No. 4, gave Georgia a 3-0 edge with a 6-0,6-4 victory over Trousilova. The Wildcats (0-1) secured their lone team point with an impressive win at No. 2. Bonancic, ranked No. 94, upset the 22nd-ranked Kowase 6-4,6-2 to make it 3-1. Georgia claimed the victory when Gilchrist defeated Amina St. Hill in the No. 5 contest. Gilchrist won 6-3,6-1 to make it 4-1.
Gullickson, ranked No. 2, outlasted No. 17 Nidermayerova in the feature match that went to three sets. The senior from Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., came back for a 4-6,7-5,6-1 victory for a 5-1 lead. Finally at No. 6, Kimbell beat Borau-Ramos 7-5,6-3.
Also, two exhibition contests were held. Bulldog sophomore Alina Jerjomina defeated Chuda 9-7 while Georgia junior Kelli Jordan fell 8-2 to Wischhoff.
"This was a nice win to open the season and it was exciting to get started," said Georgia coach Jeff Wallace. "Kansas State played a fantastic match, and the doubles was tightly contested. Our number one doubles team got a huge win, and Chelsey had a big test at No. 1 singles. She played the No. 17 ranked player and had to lift her game up, and she was able to come through. Also, Nadja, our other senior, clinched the win so that's good to see from our veterans. Lauren Herring, our lone freshman, got a key win in her first team match too."
Up next, Georgia faces Troy here Sunday at 1 p.m.
#7 Georgia 6, #46 Kansas State 1
Jan 13, 2012 at Athens, Ga. (Dan Magill Tennis Complex)
1. #2 Chelsey Gullickson (UG) def. #17 Petra Niedermayerova (KSU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-1
2. #94 Karla Bonacic (KSU) def. #22 Maho Kowase (UG) 6-4, 6-2
3. #52 Lauren Herring (UG) def. Ana Gomez Aleman (KSU) 6-1, 6-0
4. #56 Kate Fuller (UG) def. Marketa Trousilova (KSU) 6-0, 6-4
5. Nadja Gilchrist (UG) def. Amina St. Hill (KSU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Lilly Kimbell (UG) def. Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU) 7-5,6-3
1. #60 Kate Fuller/Lauren Herring (UG) def. #28 Petra Niedermayerova/Marketa Trousilova (KSU) 8-2
2. Chelsey Gullickson/Maho Kowase (UG) def. Karla Bonacic/Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU) 8-6
3. Nadja Gilchrist/Lilly Kimbell (UG) def. Petra Chuda/Carli Wischhoff (KSU) 8-4
No. 7 Georgia 1-0; No. 46 Kansas State (0-1)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,4,2,5,1,6)
Official: Denise Hanson; A-112