April 23, 2013
ATHENS, Ga. - The No. 23 University of Georgia softball team will host Georgia State in the final non-conference game of the regular season on Wednesday, April 24 at 6 p.m., at Jack Turner Stadium in Athens, Ga. The Bulldogs enter the weekend after completing a sweep of then-No. 13 Texas A&M and enter the contest with an overall record of 34-15. Georgia State is 32-16 on the season.
Wednesday, April 24
• No. 23 Georgia vs. Georgia State – 6 p.m.
• Live stats will be available at www.georgiadogs.com
• Live audio for will be available online through GTV and locally on Fox News 1340 WGAU, as well as on 90.5fm WUOG
• Live video for will be available for free online through GTV
• Georgia is 10-2 all-time against Georgia State in a series that dates back to 1997. The Bulldogs earned a 6-0 win over the Panthers last season and are on a nine-game win streak against them, having not lost to the Panthers since 2000.
• Bringing Out the Brooms: Georgia earned its third SEC series sweep of the season with its three wins over Texas A&M last weekend. It was the first series sweep since the Bulldogs took three games from Ole Miss in March. It was just the second time this season that the Aggies have been swept this season, with the other sweep coming at the hands of Tennessee.
• 18s A Record: The Bulldogs pounded out 18 hits against Texas A&M in their 12-7 win last Saturday. It was tied the most hits by a Georgia softball team against an SEC opponent since 2011, when the Bulldogs picked up 18 at Kentucky.
• Come From Behind: The five-run deficit against Texas A&M on Saturday was the most that the Bulldogs have come back from for a win. The Aggies got up 5-0 in the first, but the Bulldogs answered with four runs in the bottom of the second before adding to in the third to take the lead. The Bulldogs held on for the leave and never let off the gas, adding six more runs over the next three innings to take the 12-7 win.
• Montemayor Shines: Morgan Montemayor threw 11.1 brilliant innings of relief last weekend to get a pair of wins to move to 11-6 on the season. In Georgia’s 12-7 win on Saturday, Montemayor hurled 6.1 innings, giving up just two run and scattering five hits while striking out eight batters. She threw the final five innings in the sweep-clinching win on Sunday, allowing just one run during her time in the circle. She got out of jam in Sunday’s game after loading the bases. With the bases loaded and the tying run at third, she struck out the final batter to end the inning. She gave up just three runs to a Texas A&M team that entered the weekend averaging 6.47 runs per game.
• On Deck: The Bulldogs will travel to Gainesville, Fla., to take on No. 2 Florida this weekend in the final road-series of the regular season. The first game is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m., on Friday, with game 2 slated for a noon start on Saturday. The final game will be at 1 p.m. on Sunday. Game two and three of the series will be televised on ESPNU and CSS, respectively.