April 9, 2013
ATHENS, Ga. - The University of Georgia softball team will close out its five-game home stand tomorrow, April 10, when it steps out of conference play to take on Western Carolina in a doubleheader. The first game is set to begin at 4 p.m., with the second following at approximately 6 p.m. Georgia enters the weekend with a record of 27-13, while Western Carolina is 15-26 on the year.
Wednesday, April 10
• Georgia vs. Western Carolina - 4 p.m. and 6 p.m.
• Live stats will be available at www.georgiadogs.com
• Live audio for both games will be available online through GTV
• The second game of the doubleheader will be available locally on 90.5fm WUOG
• Live video will be available online for free through GTV
• Georgia is a perfect 3-0 against the Western Carolina Catamounts. The teams last faced off in 2010 when the Bulldogs took an 18-0 win in five innings.
• Georgia vs. SoCon: Wednesday’s double header against SoCon member Western Carolina marks the third SoCon team that the Bulldogs have faced this season. Georgia is looking to improve on its 2-1 record against the SoCon this year. Georgia is 1-1 against Elon this season and won its game with Georgia Southern 6-3. Overall, the Bulldogs are 75-6 against SoCon teams in the history of the program.
• What a Crowd: Georgia saw nearly 5,700 fans make their way to Jack Turner Stadium over the four games last week. On Saturday, a record 1,986 fans came out to see the Bulldogs take on Tennessee. The number shattered the previous record of 1,877 that was set in 2009, also against Tennessee. It was the first time this season there were over 1,000 fans in each game during the week.
• Leadoff: It’s no surprise that the Bulldogs have put up huge home run totals this season. What is surprising is that 17 of the 72 round trippers have been leadoff home runs. All but one of the five home runs last weekend was a leadoff homers. Anna Swafford, who has hit nine home runs this season, owns a team-best six home runs. Tess Sito hit two leadoff homers last week.
• Among the SEC’s and Nation’s Best: The Bulldogs rank at the top of nearly every offensive category including batting average (.345), slugging percentage (.629), hits (342), RBI (269), home runs (72) and total bases (648). The Bulldogs are second in the SEC in runs scored (286), doubles (55) and third with 11 triples. Georgia also ranks among the nation’s leaders in home runs per game (1st), slugging percentage (1st), scoring (5th) and batting average (6th).
• On Deck: The Bulldogs take to the road for a three-game SEC series against South Carolina in Columbia, S.C., beginning Friday, April 12 at 7 p.m. Saturday’s game is set to begin at 4 p.m., with the series finale scheduled for 1 p.m. on Sunday. Gametracker and live audio will be available for each of the three games this weekend at www.georgiadogs.com and Fox News 1340 WGAU in Athens.