Feb. 28, 2012
ATHENS, Ga. - The No. 7 University of Georgia softball returns to Jack Turner Stadium Wednesday when it hosts the Gardner-Webb Runnin' Bulldogs. The game is slated to begin at 6:30 p.m., and admission is free. Live stats will be available at www.georgiadogs.com
- Georgia vs. Gardner-Webb; February 29 at 6:30 p.m.; Athens, Ga.
- Live stats will be available at www.georgiadogs.com
- Live audio will be available at www.georgiadogs.com
- The Bulldogs had a slugfest over the five games, as they collected 15 home runs by the tournament's end. Four players hit three each in Paige Wilson, Tess Sito, Sandberg and Ashley Razey while freshmen Gracie Goulder and Anna Swafford and senior Brittney Hubbard had one apiece. The team's total was the most at the CCC while the four with three home runs tied for the most with three other individuals.
- The Bulldogs led the way at the CCC in several offensive categories. The team slugged a tournament-best .644 and was third at the tournament in runs scored (36) and RBI (33). Georgia also hit 15 home runs had 85 total bases and nine players hit by a pitch, all tournament-bests. Kristyn Sandberg led all players with a 1.300 slugging percentage, while Sito tied for the most RBI with nine and was first in total bases with 17.
- After posting a 4-1 record at the Cathedral City Classic, Georgia improves to 12-2 on the season. While out in California, the Bulldogs defeated three out of the four top-25 teams they played with wins over then-No. 15 Arizona, then-No. 5 UCLA and then-No. 6 Oklahoma.
- Georgia's pitching staff is proving to be a key link in the success of the team. The staff has a combined ERA of 1.79 ad opponents are hitting just .205 against them. Morgan Montemayor leads the team with a 1.53 ERA, while Erin Arevalo has a team-best five wins, as opponents are hitting just .180 against her. Tess Sito is 3-0 with a 1.56 ERA and has walked just one batter this season. The staff has also combined for five shutouts and 13 complete games.