Previewing The NCAA Gymnastics Regional
April 3, 2013
ATHENS-----Fourth-ranked Georgia will compete in the NCAA Corvallis Regional Saturday, April 6 at 7 p.m. ET at Gill Coliseum. The No. 1-seeded Gym Dogs and five other teams will be vying for two spots in the NCAA Championships April 19-21 in Los Angeles. Joining the Gym Dogs in Corvallis will be host Oregon State, Arkansas, Boise State, Arizona State and California.
UGA’s rotation in the regional will be vault, bye, bars, beam, bye, floor. Ten-time NCAA champion Georgia has won a total of 22 NCAA regionals, including 12 in the last 15 years.
The top two all-around competitors who are not on an advancing team from each regional will receive an automatic berth to the NCAA championships. In addition, the event winners at each regional will advance to the national championships in that event only if they are not part of a qualifying team or an all-around qualifier.
Georgia Vs. The Field
Georgia has already competed against two teams in the NCAA Corvallis Regional this season. The Gym Dogs saw Oregon State at the Metroplex Challenge in Fort Worth, Texas, in January. The Beavers finished third and Georgia was fourth. UGA has competed against Arkansas twice, including a dual meet win in Fayetteville the second week of the season and in the SEC Championship where Georgia placed fourth and the Razorbacks were sixth.
UGA head coach Danna Durante also has ties to two other teams in the Corvallis Regional. She was an all-Pac 10 gymnast at Arizona State from 1992-95, and served as head coach at California in 2012.
• This is the second straight year that Georgia and Oregon State are the top two seeds in the same regional. Both teams competed in the Auburn Regional in 2012 as Georgia placed first and Oregon State finished second.
• Georgia has posted the highest score on bars in 11 meets this season, including the SEC Championship with a 49.55, and on vault 10 times.
• The Gym Dogs’ two highest scores this season came in the final two meets of the regular season.
• Georgia’s beam scores have trended upward in the last half of the season. The Gym Dogs have posted four of their top-five beam totals in the last four meets, including a 49.625 at NC State and a 49.5 in the SEC Championship. The 49.625 stands as the second-highest beam score in school history and the 49.5 was just a quarter-tenth shy of the highest beam score by UGA in an SEC Championship meet.
• Chelsea Davis has finished first on bars in 11 out of 13 meets, including a 9.9 or higher in each of the last 11 meets. She was ranked No. 1 on that event for seven straight weeks.
• Dating back to last season, a Georgia gymnast has placed first on bars in 17 of the last 19 meets.
In the latest GymInfo Top 25, Georgia moved up one spot to No. 4, which is the Gym Dogs’ highest ranking since the week of Feb. 27, 2012. Georgia’s 197.260 RQS is its highest since 2008.
Georgia is ranked third on bars with a 49.415 RQS, fourth on beam (49.305), eighth on vault (49.400) and tied for 10th on floor (49.280).
Individually, Chelsea Davis is tied for second on the uneven bars with a 9.945 RQS, and Shayla Worley is tied for second on beam with a 9.920. Worley tied for first on beam with teammate Brittany Rogers at the SEC Championship. Rogers, who also shared the SEC title on bars, is tied for ninth on that event.
If Georgia finishes first or second in the Corvallis Regional, it will advance to the NCAA Championships April 19-21 at Pauley Pavilion on the UCLA campus. The NCAA prelims will be held April 19, with Semifinal I scheduled for a 3 p.m. ET start, and Semifinal II set to begin at 9 p.m. The top-three teams in each semifinal session will advance to the Super Six April 20 at 7 p.m. The Individual Event Finals will be held April 21 at 4 p.m.
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Ticket Home Page
- Student Tickets Information
- Buy Tickets Online
- Student Ticket Request
- Online Promo Codes
- Student Ticket Donation
- Wheelchair Accessible Seating
- Faculty Staff Tickets
- Player Guest Tickets
- Ticket Transfer/Donation
- Group Tickets
- Bulldog Club
- Bulldog Club Home
- Football Skysuites
- About the Club
- Football Priority Seating
- Donate Online
- Football Ticket Cutoff Scores
- Request Fund Information
- Georgia vs. Florida
- Contact the Club
- Things to Do
- Visiting Athens
- Game Promotions
- Campus Maps
- Fan Contests
- Driving Directions
- Charitable Requests
- Scoreboard Greetings
- Tailgating Policies