April 17, 2011
Final Stats |
Results in PDF Format
CLEVELAND, Ohio-----Georgia junior Kat Ding won the national championship on the uneven bars with a 9.9125 at the NCAA Championships Sunday at the Wolstein Center.
Ding becomes the 38th national champion in Georgia gymnastics history and the 10th on bars. UGA's 38 national titles is more than any other team in the country, and the Gym Dogs have now won 12 individual crowns in the last five years.
"It still hasn't sunk in," Ding said. "It's good to know that all the hard work has paid off. Being second in the lineup was kind of intimidating. I didn't know what to expect. It was nerve-wracking sitting there and watching everybody doing their normal things. They all hit really good routines and I'm thankful today was the day my routine decided to show up."
Ding was No. 2 in the vault lineup, and her 9.9125 was tops among 16 gymnasts. She claimed the bars title in 10 meets this season and scored a 9.9 or higher on the event in the last seven routines of the year and eight of the final nine. The Sparks, Nev., native entered the NCAA Championships ranked No. 1 nationally on the uneven bars.
"People who know Kat Ding know that she is a fighter," said Georgia head coach Jay Clark. "She's got a lot of that in her, and she wanted to come in here and represent her team very well today, and she obviously did that. I'm very proud of her and the grit she's shown all year for us. I'm looking forward to her being a senior next year and letting that rub off a little more on some of our other gymnasts"
Sunday's competition featured six judges on each event, and the high score and low scored were dropped and the middle four scored averaged. On vault, gymnasts performed two vaults, and the final score was an average of the two vaults.
Senior Cassidy McComb, an All-American in the all-around and on floor, finished seventh on floor with a 9.875. Lindsey Cheek, who capped her freshman season by earning All-American honors on vault, finished 11th on the event with a 9.7875.
Florida's Marissa King won the vault title with a 9.875, UCLA's Sam Peszek won beam with a 9.9, and Alabama's Geralen Stack-Eaton won floor with a 9.9375.
Individual Results (order of competition)
1. Janelle Giblin (Nebraska) - 9.8
2. Kylee Botterman (Michigan) - 9.7875
3. Jamie Schleppenbach (Nebraska) - 9.7375
4. Madison Mooring (Oklahoma) - 9.825
5. Brittani McCullough (UCLA) - 9.6125
6. Amy Borsellino (Arkansas) - 9.6938
7. Katie Zurales (Michigan) - 9.7313
8. Alaina Johnson (Florida) - 9.7875
9. Marissa Gutierrez (Alabama) - 9.8
10. Marissa King (Florida) - 9.875
11. Geralen Stack-Eaton (Alabama) - 9.7938
12. Erin Davis (Nebraska) - 9.8625
13. Kayla Hoffman (Alabama) - 9.925
14. Lindsey Cheek (Georgia) - 9.7875
15. Stephanie McAllister (Utah) - 9.7313
16. Ashley Sledge (Alabama) - 9.7938
1. Trish Wilson (Michigan) - 9.85
2. Kat Ding (Georgia) - 9.9125
3. Sarah DeMeo (Alabama) - 9.8625
4. Emily Wong (Nebraska) - 9.825
5. Olivia Vivian (Oregon State) - 9.85
6. Megan Ferguson (Oklahoma) - 9.775
7. Maria Scaffidi (Nebraska) - 9.825
8. Geralen Stack-Eaton (Alabama) - 9.2
9. Elyse Hopfner-Hibbs (UCLA) - 9.75
10. Monique De LaTorre (UCLA) - 9.8625
11. Jen Kesler (Oregon State) - 9.875
12. Alaina Johnson (Florida) - 9.85
13. Kayla Nowak (Oklahoma) - 9.8
14. Makayla Stambaugh (Oregon State) - 9.8625
15. Brittnee Martinez (Michigan) - 9.85
1. Kim Jacob (Alabama) - 9.8125
2. Kayla Hoffman (Alabama) - 9.8875
3. Kylee Botterman (Michigan) - 9.825
4. Mary Beth Lofgren (Utah) - 9.8375
5. Megan Ferguson (Oklahoma) - 9.8125
6. Melissa Fernandez (Illinois) - 9.8375
7. Sam Peszek (UCLA) - 9.9
8. Natasha Kelley (Oklahoma) - 9.875
9. Aisha Gerber (UCLA) - 9.8875
10. Leslie Mak (Oregon State) - 9.45
1. Lora Evenstad (Nebraska) - 9.7875
2. Erin Davis (Nebraska) - 9.775
3. Jaime Pisani (Arkansas) - 9.8875
4. Geralen Stack-Eaton (Alabama) - 9.9375
5. Cassidy McComb (Georgia) - 9.875
6. Marissa King (Florida) - 9.85
7. Makayla Stambaugh (Oregon State) - 9.8625
8. Kylee Botterman (Michigan) - 9.9
9. Brittani McCullough (UCLA) - 9.9
10. Alaina Johnson (Florida) - 9.8875
11. Maranda Smith (Florida) - 9.9
12. Katherine Grable (Arkansas) - 9.85