More Video: Post Meet Interviews
March 24, 2012
DULUTH, Ga.-----The Georgia gymnastics team placed third with a 196.575 at the SEC Championship held at The Arena at Gwinnett Center Saturday. Florida won the title with a 197.150, while Alabama finished second with a 196.775.
LSU finished fourth with a 196.425, followed by Kentucky (194.350), Arkansas (194.175) and Auburn (194.100).
"We lost to two of the best teams in the country tonight," said Georgia head coach Jay Clark. "We have competed with a strong, sound mind all year, but tonight we were a little skittish. We had an opportunity early in the meet, but we just never seemed to hit our stride. We nickeled and dimed ourselves a lot tonight. We didn't make any huge mistakes, and we didn't have any falls, but we just never seemed comfortable."
After a bye in the second rotation, the Gym Dogs went to bars and turned in a 49.2. At the end of the third rotation, Georgia led the field with a 98.375, followed by Florida's 98.250 and Alabama's 98.1.
UGA then posted a 49.05 on beam in the fourth rotation, and with a 49.35 by Alabama on floor, the Crimson Tide took a 147.450-147.425 lead. Shayla Worley led the Gym Dogs on the balance beam with a 9.85.
While Georgia was on a bye in rotation four, Florida scored a 49.525 on vault to take a 147.775-147.425 lead over Alabama.
The Gym Dogs closed the meet with a 49.150 on floor in the sixth rotation, and the Gators sealed the win with a 49.375 on bars in the final rotation.
Ding, who was the two-time defending SEC champion on bars, placed second, and Worley finished third on beam.
Georgia will now learn its NCAA Regional destination on Monday afternoon. The following six schools will serve as hosts sites: Arkansas, Auburn, Illinois, NC State, Utah and Washington. All NCAA Regionals will be held April 7.
1. Florida: 197.150 (Vault - 49.525, Bars - 49.375, Beam - 49.05, Floor - 49.2)
2. Alabama: 196.775 (Vault - 49.325, Bars - 49.275, Beam - 4.825, Floor - 49.350)
3. Georgia: 196.575 (Vault - 49.175, Bars - 49.2, Beam - 49.05, Floor - 49.150)
4. LSU: 196.425 (Vault - 49.375, Bars - 48.9, Beam - 49, Floor - 49.15)
5. Kentucky: 194.350 (Vault - 49, Bars - 48.575, Beam - 48.725, Floor - 49.2)
6. Arkansas: 194.175 (Vault - 49.05, Bars - 48.85, Beam - 48.7, Floor - 47.575)
7. Auburn: 194.100 (Vault - 48.9, Bars - 48.825, Beam - 48.675, Floor - 47.7)