Georgia Rallies In First Round Of SEC Women's Golf

Highlights and interviews from day 1 of the SEC Women's Golf Championships.

April 18, 2014

Photo Gallery 

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. --- The Georgia women's golf team carded a 14-over 302 in Friday's opening round of the SEC Women's Golf Championships at Greystone Golf & Country Club. The Bulldogs did so after an extremely slow start due to steady rain and wind when they took the course, followed by a four-hour weather delay.

Shortly after play resumed, Georgia rallied and played some of the best golf of the field while covering its final 13 holes at 3-over as a team.

Play was suspended around 7:30 p.m. CT with three teams remaining on the course. Arkansas, South Carolina and Alabama will complete their round beginning at 8:00 a.m. CT on Saturday morning, with the second round slated to begin at approximately 10:00 a.m.

The Bulldogs are currently in seventh place. LSU is the leader in the clubhouse at 295; however, Arkansas is at 6-over with golfers still on the course. The Crimson Tide and Gamecocks are a stroke ahead of Georgia but also still with first-round holes to play.

"We drew bad luck with the weather," head coach Josh Brewer said. "We played in really heavy rain and wind before they stopped play. I think we made nine or 10 bogeys and one birdie so we were 9-over as a group. After we got past that part, we played fairly well."

Amira Alexander led Georgia with a 1-over 73. The Bulldogs' additional counters were a 74 from Manuela Carbajo Ré, a 77 by Sammi Lee and a 78 from Rocio Sanchez Lobato. Harang Lee posted an 81.

"Amira stepped up," Brewer said. "She posted another 73 after doing so last year. Manuela continues to play well. Sammi fought. She was 6-over through five holes. To come back and shoot 5-over on the day was huge. It was a team needs if it's going to have a chance to win. Now, we're in a good position. If we play well the next two days, we've given ourselves a chance to really enjoy the weekend."

The Bulldogs teed off from No. 10 and played the back side of the course first.

Alexander bogeyed her first three holes - two of those prior to the weather delay - before getting on track. She gained a stroke back with a birdie at No. 16 but bogeyed No. 18 to turn at 3-over. Birdies at No. 2 and No. 6 pulled her within a stroke of par.

"It was a rough start," Alexander said. "When I got out there, I was kind of shocked we were playing because the fairways were pretty flooded with water. We had a delay. After that, we just went out and played. I stayed patient throughout the day. I think (the delay) helped. It kind of calmed me down. I was a little flustered with the start and the conditions."

Sammie Lee began with four bogeys and a double-bogey. Her comeback began with birdies at No. 16 and No. 18. She pulled to 3-over with a birdie at No. 2 but gave two shots back with bogeys at No. 4 and No. 6.

A steady rain forced the delay and eventual suspension for approximately four hours in the morning. Tee times originally set for 8:00 a.m. CT were pushed back an hour. Competition did begin at 9:00 a.m.; however, consistent rain dictated that play be suspended less than 90 minutes later. Golfers returned to the course and play resumed at 1:30 p.m.

The field will be re-paired after the first round.



HunkerDown Productions
  • There are no recent results.
  • There are no upcoming events.

Georgia Official Online Store Committ to the G

Georgia Official Online Store
Photo Store Media Guides