Bulldogs Open NCAAs With 4-0 Win
Men's tennis highlights from the NCAA 1st Round against Jacksonville State with interviews with Coach Diaz and Garrett Brasseaux.
May 10, 2014
ATHENS, Ga. --- The 10th-seeded Georgia men's tennis team opened NCAA Championships play with a 4-0 victory over Jacksonville State on Saturday afternoon at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex, sending the team into tomorrow's second round. The Bulldogs will take on NC State at 1 p.m., seeking their 11th straight spot in the NCAA round of 16.
Today's win moved Georgia to 17-7 on the year, while JSU ends its season at 17-8.
"Our guys have put a lot of work in, and they played well today," said head coach Manuel Diaz. "Jacksonville State probably played one of the toughest first round matches against us that I can recall. They are a deep, well-coached team, and they made us earn every point we won. Our guys have put in some good work in conditioning the last couple of weeks. We were a little rusty in doubles, but I felt like we improved as the match went along. I thought we played extremely well in singles."
Georgia won the doubles point for the 18th time this season, securing wins on court Nos. 2 and 3. The No. 2 team of Nathan Pasha and Garrett Brasseaux started with an 8-2 win over Mathias Chaim and Dylan Gee, and Austin Smith and Eric Diaz followed with an 8-3 decision over Jefferson Wendler-Filho and Felipe Wenzel at No. 3 to clinch it for Georgia.
The Bulldogs then won all six first sets in singles, before heavy rains pushed the remainder of the match indoors to the Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Facility. Shortly after the move, Georgia took a 2-0 lead as Brasseaux defeated Jaryd Reese, 6-0, 6-0, in his first time playing No. 2 in his career.
It became a 3-0 Georgia lead as 23rd-ranked Austin Smith beat Pedro Wagner, 6-4, 6-2, at No. 1, and Nick Wood furnished the clinch as he defeated Wendler-Filho, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 4. It marked the fourth clinch for Wood this season.
Georgia is making its 36th overall appearance in the tournament and 31st in a row, now boasting a record of 97-31 all-time in the NCAA Championships. UGA is hosting both the men's and women's round of 16 through team finals, as well as the individual singles and doubles events, May 15-26.
Tomorrow's second round match against the Wolfpack is set for 1 p.m. at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex. Tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for children and students with valid ID, with ticket windows to open one hour before the match. Georgiadogs.com will offer live scoring and video coverage in addition to the Georgia Tennis Live Chat.
Georgia 4, Jacksonville State 0
1. #23 Austin Smith (UGA) def. Pedro Wagner (JSU) 6-4, 6-2
2. #70 Garrett Brasseaux (UGA) def. Jaryd Reese (JSU) 6-0, 6-0
3. #82 Ben Wagland (UGA) vs. Dylan Gee (JSU) 6-4, 3-2, unfinished
4. Nick Wood (UGA) def. Jefferson Wendler-Fi (JSU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Hernus Pieters (UGA) vs. Mathias Chaim (JSU) 6-1, 5-1, unfinished
6. Eric Diaz (UGA) vs. Felipe Wenzel (JSU) 6-4, 1-1, unfinished
1. #8 Hernus Pieters/Ben Wagland (UGA) vs. Jaryd Reese/Pedro Wagner (JSU) 6-3, unfinished
2. Garrett Brasseaux/Nathan Pasha (UGA) def. Mathias Chaim/Dylan Gee (JSU) 8-2
3. Austin Smith/Eric Diaz (UGA) def. Jefferson Wendler-Fi/Felipe Wenzel (JSU) 8-3
Jacksonville State 17-8
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (2,1,4)
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Ticket Home Page
- Student Tickets Information
- Buy Tickets Online
- Student Ticket Request
- Online Promo Codes
- Football Ticket Cutoff Scores 2016
- Student Ticket Donation
- Wheelchair Accessible Seating
- Faculty Staff Tickets
- Player Guest Tickets
- Ticket Transfer/Donation
- Group Tickets
- Bulldog Club
- Bulldog Club Home
- Football Skysuites
- About the Club
- Football Priority Seating
- Donate Online
- Football Ticket Cutoff Scores
- Request Fund Information
- Georgia vs. Florida
- Contact the Club
- Sanford Stadium
- Turner Softball Field
- Butts Mehre Heritage Hall
- Turner Soccer Complex
- Stegeman Coliseum: MBB | WBB | GYM
- Volleyball Arena
- Foley Field
- Magill Tennis Complex
- Indoor Athletic Facility
- Indoor Facility Construction Time Lapse
- All Facilities
- Things to Do
- Visiting Athens
- Game Promotions
- Campus Maps
- Fan Contests
- Driving Directions
- Charitable Requests
- Scoreboard Greetings
- Tailgating Policies