Georgia Wins 6-1 At No. 16 Auburn
April 8, 2012
ATHENS, Ga. --- The No. 4 Georgia men's tennis team completed another weekend sweep, defeating 16th-ranked Auburn by a 6-1 score Sunday afternoon at the Yarbrough Tennis Center in Auburn, Ala.
With the win, the Bulldogs move to 19-2 (9-1) on the season and are tied for second in the SEC race with one regular-season match remaining. Georgia drops Auburn to 15-7 (4-5).
"I feel good - I think we played one of our better matches of the last 3-4 weeks," said head coach Manuel Diaz. "The guys competed well. We played really well at Nos. 2 and 3 doubles and even at No. 1, we played well against a great team. Then we came back in singles and the guys played well from top to bottom. I'm pleased with the way we're playing and hopefully it will continue to our next matches."
Georgia claimed the early lead via a doubles point victory, taking wins on courts No. 2 and 3. First off was the team of KU Singh and Wil Spencer at No. 3, as they defeated Daniel Cochrane and Lukas Ollert, 8-5. The clinch came at 2, as 59th-ranked Nathan Pasha and Sadio Doumbia posted a tiebreak victory, 9-8(2) over Dennis Lengsfeld and Lucas Lopasso. Auburn's 16th-ranked team of Alex Stamchev and Andreas Mies earned the 9-7 win over Hernus Pieters and Ignacio Taboada on the final court.
Singh made it 2-0 as he started singles with a 6-3, 6-2 win over No. 77 Stamchev at No 2, his 20th win of the season. No. 27 Mies then cut the lead in half at 2-1, as he defeated No. 8 Spencer, 6-1, 6-2 at No. 1 singles, before Pasha pushed Georgia up 3-1 with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Lopasso at No. 6.
Georgia then came away with the clinch on No. 4, as 33rd-ranked Taboada downed Lengsfeld, 6-4, 7-5 to make it 4-1 and secure Georgia's fifth road win of the season.
The Bulldogs then closed things out with a 7-5, 7-6(4) win for Pieters over Ollert at No. 5, and a 7-5, 6-3 win for Doumbia over Cochrane at No. 3 to come away with the 6-1 victory.
Georgia will head to Knoxville, Tenn., to close the regular season slate vs. Tennessee next Sat., April 14 at 1 p.m. before heading to the 2012 SEC Championships April 19-22 in Starkville, Miss.
#4 Georgia 6, #16 Auburn 1
1. #27 Andreas Mies (AU) def. #8 Wil Spencer (UGA) 6-1, 6-2
2. #32 KU Singh (UGA) def. #77 Alex Stamchev (AU) 6-3, 6-2
3. #24 Sadio Doumbia (UGA) def. Daniel Cochrane (AU) 7-5, 6-3
4. #33 Ignacio Taboada (UGA) def. Dennis Lengsfeld (AU) 6-4, 7-5
5. #62 Hernus Pieters (UGA) def. Lukas Ollert (AU) 7-5, 7-6 (7-4)
6. Nathan Pasha (UGA) def. Lucas Lopasso (AU) 6-3, 6-3
1. #16 Alex Stamchev/Andreas Mies (AU) def. #34 Hernus Pieters/Ignacio Taboada (UGA) 9-7
2. #59 Nathan Pasha/Sadio Doumbia (UGA) def. Dennis Lengsfeld/Lucas Lopasso (AU) 9-8 (7-2)
3. KU Singh/Wil Spencer (UGA) def. Daniel Cochrane/Lukas Ollert (AU) 8-5
Georgia 19-2 (9-1 SEC); National ranking #4
Auburn 15-7 (4-5 SEC); National ranking #16
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,1,6,4,5,3)
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Ticket Home Page
- Student Tickets Information
- Buy Tickets Online
- Student Ticket Request
- Online Promo Codes
- Student Ticket Donation
- Wheelchair Accessible Seating
- Faculty Staff Tickets
- Player Guest Tickets
- Ticket Transfer/Donation
- Group Tickets
- Bulldog Club
- Bulldog Club Home
- Football Skysuites
- About the Club
- Football Priority Seating
- Donate Online
- Football Ticket Cutoff Scores
- Request Fund Information
- Georgia vs. Florida
- Contact the Club
- Things to Do
- Visiting Athens
- Game Promotions
- Campus Maps
- Fan Contests
- Driving Directions
- Charitable Requests
- Scoreboard Greetings
- Tailgating Policies