March 23, 2014
ATHENS-----The 10th-ranked Georgia men's tennis team remained undefeated in conference play with a 4-0 victory over No. 33 Vanderbilt Sunday afternoon at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex.
The Bulldogs improved to 12-5 overall and 7-0 in the SEC and extended their winning streak to nine matches. UGA has also won 23 straight at home. Vanderbilt dropped to 12-6 and 3-4 in league matches.
"We had two tough matches this week with Kentucky on Friday and Vanderbilt today," said Georgia head coach Manuel Diaz. "All of a sudden the sun came out and it was a beautiful day with a great crowd. They really helped us a lot. It's always good to have a challenging opponent and a good crowd on a day like today."
Sophomore Nick Wood furnished his first clincher of the season with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Jeff Offerdahl at No. 6. Wood improved his conference record to 5-0 and won his seventh straight match.
"Nick has been close to clinching several times, and he has had a terrific spring so far," Diaz said. "He has continued to get better and it's good to see him get the clinch."
The Bulldogs won the doubles point for the 13th time this season to take a 1-0 lead. At No. 3, Eric Diaz and Austin Smith topped Pen Binet and Ryan Smith, 8-3, then the tandem of Garrett Brasseaux and Nathan Pasha defeated Rhys Johnson and Anton Kovrigin, 8-6, to clinch the point. At No. 1, 21st-ranked Hernus Pieters and Ben Wagland led the nation's No. 1 team of Gonzales Austin and Ryan Lipman, 7-6, when the point was clinched.
Diaz and Smith have now won seven straight matches at No. 3 doubles, and they are 13-1 overall.
In singles, 13th-ranked Smith ran his winning streak to nine matches with a 6-3, 6-2 win over No. 102 Lipman, then Pieters beat Kovrigin, 6-4, 6-0 to make it 3-0 Georgia. Wood then clinched at No. 6 as the Bulldogs won their 17th straight SEC match dating back to last season.
Georgia - sitting alone atop the SEC standings - will travel to Texas A&M for a 7 p.m. ET match on Friday, March 28. It is designated as one of the College MatchDays, a nationwide series spotlighting college tennis. The match will air on ESPN3.
#10 Georgia 4, #33 Vanderbilt 0
1. #25 Nathan Pasha (UGA) vs. #16 Gonzales Austin (VU) 4-6, 6-4, 2-4, unfinished
2. #13 Austin Smith (UGA) def. #102 Ryan Lipman (VU) 6-3, 6-2
3. #87 Ben Wagland (UGA) vs. Kris Yee (VU) 4-6, 6-5, unfinished
4. #79 Garrett Brasseaux (UGA) vs. Rhys Johnson (VU) 6-4, 2-5, unfinished
5. Hernus Pieters (UGA) def. Anton Kovrigin (VU) 6-4, 6-0
6. Nick Wood (UGA) def. Jeffrey Offerdahl (VU) 6-4, 6-2
1. #21 Hernus Pieters/Ben Wagland (UGA) vs. #1 Gonzales Austin/Ryan Lipman (VU) 7-6, unfinished
2. Garrett Brasseaux/Nathan Pasha (UGA) def. Rhys Johnson/Anton Kovrigin (VU) 8-6
3. Eric Diaz/Austin Smith (UGA) def. Pen Binet/Ryan Smith (VU) 8-3
Vanderbilt 12-6 (3-4); National ranking #33
Georgia 12-5 (7-0); National ranking #10
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (2,5,6)
Official: Clark Weaver T-2:53 A-471