Men's Tennis Cruises Past Ole Miss
March 9, 2014
ATHENS-----The 16th-ranked Georgia men's tennis team completed a weekend sweep in SEC action with a 4-0 victory over Ole Miss Sunday afternoon at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex.
The Bulldogs - 4-1 winners over Mississippi State Friday night - are one of only two teams undefeated in SEC play after two weekends of league matches. Georgia (7-5, 3-0 SEC) will put its 20-match home court winning streak on the line against current No. 1 Ohio State Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. The UGA women will play host to Virginia at 10 a.m.
"I thought we came out ready today," said head coach Manuel Diaz. "The doubles was really close, and I thought Ole Miss played a great doubles point as well. It came down to two tiebreakers, and I'm really proud of our No. 3 team. They continue to find a way to win and lift their game in the late stages of matches.
"In singles, we looked as focused as I have seen them this year. From top to bottom we played fantastic. It's good timing with the top-ranked team in the country coming in here on Wednesday. We hope we can get a good crowd and keep improving as a team."
Georgia began the match with a win at No. 1 doubles as 14th-ranked Hernus Pieters and Ben Wagland defeated William Kallberg and Stefan Lindmark, 8-4, while matches at Nos. 2 and 3 came down to tiebreakers. The Bulldogs clinched the point at No. 3 where Eric Diaz and Austin Smith edged Johan Backstrom and Joe Rogers, 8-7(2). The match at No. 2 was halted when the doubles point was clinched. Diaz and Smith are now 9-1 at No. 3 doubles and have won four in a row.
In singles, Pieters won his seventh straight match, 6-1, 6-1 against Vinod Gowda at No. 6, then Smith claimed his 25th victory of the season by beating Kallberg, 7-5, 6-2, at No. 2. Garrett Brasseaux followed with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Lindmark for his second clincher of the year.
Ole Miss drops to 3-6 overall and 1-3 in the SEC.
The upcoming match against Ohio State will be Georgia's final non-conference contest of the regular season. The Bulldogs will be back in league action next weekend with road matches against South Carolina and Florida.
#16 Georgia 4, Ole Miss 0
1. #30 Nathan Pasha (UGA) vs. #36 Nik Scholtz (OM) 6-4, 2-3, unfinished
2. #16 Austin Smith (UGA) def. William Kallberg (OM) 7-5, 6-2
3. #66 Ben Wagland (UGA) vs. Johan Backstrom (OM) 6-4, 4-3, unfinished
4. #76 Garrett Brasseaux (UGA) def. Stefan Lindmark (OM) 6-3, 6-2
5. #100 Nick Wood (UGA) vs. Ricardo Jorge (OM) 7-5, 3-0, unfinished
6. Hernus Pieters (UGA) def. Vinod Gowda (OM) 6-1, 6-1
1. #14 Hernus Pieters/Ben Wagland (UGA) def. William Kallberg/Stefan Lindmark (OM) 8-4
2. Garrett Brasseaux/Nathan Pasha (UGA) vs. Ricardo Jorge/Nik Scholtz (OM) 7-7, unfinished
3. Eric Diaz/Austin Smith (UGA) def. Johan Backstrom/Joe Rogers (OM) 8-7 (7-2)
Ole Miss 3-6 (1-3)
Georgia 7-5 (3-0); National ranking #16
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (6,2,4)
Official: Clark Weaver T-2:44 A-311
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Ticket Home Page
- Student Tickets Information
- Buy Tickets Online
- Student Ticket Request
- Online Promo Codes
- Student Ticket Donation
- Wheelchair Accessible Seating
- Faculty Staff Tickets
- Player Guest Tickets
- Ticket Transfer/Donation
- Group Tickets
- Bulldog Club
- Bulldog Club Home
- Football Skysuites
- About the Club
- Football Priority Seating
- Donate Online
- Football Ticket Cutoff Scores
- Request Fund Information
- Georgia vs. Florida
- Contact the Club
- Things to Do
- Visiting Athens
- Game Promotions
- Campus Maps
- Fan Contests
- Driving Directions
- Charitable Requests
- Scoreboard Greetings
- Tailgating Policies