#8 UGA Opens Outdoor Season With Win Over Furman
Feb. 24, 2013
ATHENS-----The eighth-ranked Georgia men's tennis defeated Furman 6-1 Sunday afternoon in the first outdoor match of the season at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex.
The Bulldogs (6-3) won both of the competed doubles matches, then won five of six singles matches, including four in straight sets.
"I thought our guys played pretty well," said UGA coach Manuel Diaz. "Overall I thought we played solid doubles at all three spots. For the first match outdoors our guys played high-level tennis. Even though our timing wasn't always where it needed to be, our guys had a great attitude and worked hard through the peaks and valleys."
The Bulldogs cruised in the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead. Garrett Brasseux and Nathan Pasha downed Joel Cook and Andrew Mellow, 8-1, at No. 1, then the clincher came at No. 3 where Will Oliver and Ben Wagland defeated Jacob Behal and Tyler Droll, 8-3. Eric Diaz and Marco Nunez led Matt Browne and Alex Christ, 7-3, at No. 2 when the match was suspended.
In singles, No. 92 Wagland won 6-1, 6-1 over Christ at No. 2 to make it 2-0, then Furman's lone point came at No. 5 where Browne defeated Eric Diaz, 6-1, 6-3. Brasseaux cruised to a 6-0, 6-1 win over Behal at No. 4, and the match clincher came at No. 3 where Smith topped Cook, 6-3, 6-1. It was the second clincher of the year for Smith.
Georgia stretched its lead to 5-1 after Pasha beat Mellow at No. 1, 6-1, 6-3, and Nunez closed out the match at No. 6 with a 7-5, 6-4, 1-0(10-6) win over Droll.
"It was a good for us to get used to these conditions outdoors," Wagland said. "I think everyone played well and overall it was a good match for us today."
Georgia will be back in action at home Monday at 2:30 p.m. against East Tennessee State.
#8 Georgia 6, Furman 1
1. Garrett Brasseaux/Nathan Pasha (UGA) def. Joel Cook/Andrew Mellow (FUR), 8-1
2. Eric Diaz/Marco Nunez (UGA) vs. Matt Browne/Alex Christ, (FUR), 7-3
3. Will Oliver/Ben Wagland (UGA) def. Jacob Behal/Tyler Droll (FUR), 8-3
Order of finish: 1,3
1. #21 Nathan Pasha (UGA) def. Andrew Mellow (FUR), 6-1, 6-3
2. #92 Ben Wagland (UGA) def. Alex Christ (FUR), 6-1, 6-1
3. Austin Smith (UGA) def. Joel Cook (FUR), 6-3, 6-1
4. Garrett Brasseaux (UGA) def. Jacob Behal (FUR), 6-0, 6-1
5. Matt Browne (FUR) def. Eric Diaz (UGA), 6-1, 6-3
6. Marco Nunez (UGA) def. Tyler Droll (FUR), 7-5, 6-4, 1-0(10-6)
Order of finish: 2,5,4,3,1,6
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Ticket Home Page
- Student Tickets Information
- Buy Tickets Online
- Student Ticket Request
- Online Promo Codes
- Student Ticket Donation
- Wheelchair Accessible Seating
- Faculty Staff Tickets
- Player Guest Tickets
- Ticket Transfer/Donation
- Group Tickets
- Bulldog Club
- Bulldog Club Home
- Football Skysuites
- About the Club
- Football Priority Seating
- Donate Online
- Football Ticket Cutoff Scores
- Request Fund Information
- Georgia vs. Florida
- Contact the Club
- Sanford Stadium
- Turner Softball Field
- Butts Mehre Heritage Hall
- Turner Soccer Complex
- Stegeman Coliseum: MBB | WBB | GYM
- Ramsey Center
- Foley Field
- Magill Tennis Complex
- Indoor Athletic Facility
- Indoor Facility Construction Time Lapse
- All Facilities
- Things to Do
- Visiting Athens
- Game Promotions
- Campus Maps
- Fan Contests
- Driving Directions
- Charitable Requests
- Scoreboard Greetings
- Tailgating Policies