Feb. 3, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio-----The sixth-ranked Georgia men's tennis team suffered its first loss of the season Sunday, falling to No. 4 Ohio State, 5-2, at OSU's Varsity Tennis Center.
With the win, Ohio State extended its home court winning streak to 156 matches.
"I have to give all the credit to Ohio State," said UGA head coach Manuel Diaz. "They are a very talented and seasoned team. Having said that, I thought we still did a great job coming in here where they've won 156 matches in a row. We played a tough, competitive match against a very good team. I assure you our team is going to benefit from this match. You never enjoy coming out in the losing end, but I think we improved as a team."
Georgia's points came at Nos. 1 and 6 singles. Eighth-ranked KU Singh knocked off the nation's top-ranked player, Peter Kobelt, 7-5, 5-7, 1-0 (10-8), and freshman Nick Wood won for the second time this year with a 6-7(5), 6-4, 1-0 (10-3) super tiebreaker victory over Hunter Callahan at No. 6.
Singh improved to 11-4 on the season and picked up his eighth win over a ranked opponent.
The Buckeyes (8-0) won doubles matches at Nos. 1 and 3 to take a 1-0 lead. At No. 3, Georgia's Garrett Brasseaux and Eric Diaz fell to Kevin Metka and Blaz Rola, 8-3, then OSU clinched the point at No. 1 where Kobelt and Connor Smith topped the fifth-ranked Bulldog tandem of Hernus Pieters and Ben Wagland. Nathan Pasha and Singh led Devin McCarthy and Ille Van Engelen, 6-5, when the match was suspended.
In singles, McCarthy extended the Ohio State lead to 2-0 with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Wagland at No. 3, and No. 30 Chris Diaz defeated freshman Austin Smith, 6-1, 6-4, at No. 5 to make it 3-0.
No. 13 Connor Smith clinched the match for the Buckeyes at No. 4 with his 6-4, 6-1 win over 16th-ranked Pieters. At No. 2, 19th-ranked Pasha fell to Blaz Rola, 6-3, 7-5. Georgia (3-1) then closed out the match with wins by Singh and Wood.
Up next, the Bulldogs will face Georgia Tech in Atlanta Friday at 4 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Georgia vs. Ohio State
Feb 3, 2013 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
#4 Ohio State 5, #6 Georgia 2
1. #8 KU Singh (UG) def. #1 Peter Kobelt (OSU) 7-5, 5-7, 1-0 (10-8)
2. Blaz Rola (OSU) def. #19 Nathan Pasha (UG) 6-3, 7-5
3. Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Ben Wagland (UG) 6-3, 6-3
4. #13 Connor Smith (OSU) def. #16 Hernus Pieters (UG) 6-4, 6-1
5. #30 Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Austin Smith (UG) 6-1, 6-4
6. Nick Wood (UG) def. Hunter Callahan (OSU) 6-7 (5-7), 6-4, 1-0 (10-3)
1. Peter Kobelt/Connor Smith (OSU) def. #5 Hernus Pieters/Ben Wagland (UG) 8-3
2. Devin McCarthy/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) vs. KU Singh/Nathan Pasha (UG) 5-6, unfinished
3. Blaz Rola/Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Eric Diaz/Garrett Brasseaux (UG) 8-3
Georgia 3-1; National ranking #6
Ohio State 8-0; National ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,5,4,2,1,6)
Official: Vince Solomon T-3:30 A-505