Jan. 30, 2012
ATHENS-----The fourth-ranked Georgia men's tennis team punched its ticket to the ITA National Team Indoor Championships with a 7-0 win over Virginia Tech in the ITA Kickoff at the Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Facility Monday.
The Bulldogs (3-0) earned their third shutout of the year to advance to the National Indoors Feb. 17-20 in Charlottesville, Va. Georgia has won the National Indoor Tournament twice and reached the finals six times.
"This was a good win against a good Virginia Tech team," said head coach Manuel Diaz. "For a while it looked like we could lose two of the singles matches. We had to claw our way back and managed to get some momentum. The guys did a good job of staying positive and fighting. Eventually we turned it around. I'm really proud of our guys."
For the third time in as many matches this year, Georgia won the doubles point to take the early lead.
At No. 2, ninth-ranked Sadio Doumbia and Ignacio Taboada beat Hunter Koontz and Lucas Oliviera, 8-3, then Nathan Pasha and Hernus Pieters downed Mauricio Antun and Trpimir Kujundzic, 8-4, to clinch the point.
The eighth-ranked tandem of Garrett Brasseaux and Wil Spencer led 51st-ranked Corrado Degl'Incerti Tocci and Luka Somen, 6-4 when play was halted.
No. 10 Doumbia started singles with a 6-2, 6-1 win over No. 71 Oliviera, then KU Singh stretched the Bulldogs' lead to 3-0 with a 7-6 (3), 7-5 win over Patrick Daciek at No. 3.
No. 26 Taboada furnished the clincher for the Bulldogs at No. 4 with a 6-7 (5), 6-2, 7-5 win over Antun, and third-ranked Spencer topped No. 50 Somen at No. 1, 4-6, 7-6 (3), 6-3 to make it 5-0.
The Bulldogs closed out the match with wins by No. 64 Pieters and Campbell Johnson at Nos. 5 and 6, respectively.
"It was a tough, long match today," Taboada said. "I didn't play my best, but it was a good feeling to clinch and qualify for National Indoors. There was a lot on the line today."
Georgia returns to action Saturday when it hosts East Tennessee State at 1:00 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Virginia Tech vs Georgia
Jan 30, 2012 at Athens, Ga.
#4 Georgia 7, #34 Virginia Tech 0
1. #3 Wil Spencer (UGA) def. #50 Luka Somen (VT) 4-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
2. #10 Sadio Doumbia (UGA) def. #71 Lucas Oliviera (VT) 6-2, 6-1
3. KU Singh (UGA) def. Patrick Daciek (VT) 7-6 (7-3), 7-5
4. #26 Ignacio Taboada (UGA) def. Mauricio Antun (VT) 6-7 (5-7), 6-2, 7-5
5. #64 Hernus Pieters (UGA) def. Corrado D. Tocci (VT) 6-1, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Campbell Johnson (UGA) def. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) 6-4, 7-5
1. #8 Garrett Brasseaux/Wil Spencer (UGA) vs. #51 Luka Somen/Corrado D. Tocci (VT) 6-4, unfinished
2. #9 Sadio Doumbia/Ignacio Taboada (UGA) def. Hunter Koontz/Lucas Oliviera (VT) 8-3
3. Hernus Pieters/Nathan Pasha (UGA) def. Mauricio Antun/Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) 8-4
Virginia Tech 1-1; National ranking #34
Georgia 3-0; National ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (2,3,4,1,5,6)
Official: Walt Williams T-4:45 A-114