Jan. 30, 2011
ATHENS, Ga. --- The No. 11 Georgia men’s tennis team beat No. 20 North Carolina 4-1 Sunday at the Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Facility to advance to the ITA National Indoor Championships in Seattle, Wash. on Feb. 17-21.
“Our guys played extremely well in singles and responded to a big challenge,” said Georgia head coach Manuel Diaz. “North Carolina really played the big points well in doubles. It was disappointing [to not win the doubles point] but I knew we would have guys that would come out and compete in singles. We showed a lot of tenacity and I ‘m really pleased with the win today.”
Diaz’s teams have played in the ITA Nationa Indoors every year but 2003.
North Carolina rallied to win the doubles point for the early 1-0 lead. Georgia cruised to a win at No. 3 as Drake Bernstein and Wil Spencer beat Cameron Ahari and William Parker 8-2, but the Tar Heels won matches at Nos. 1 and 2. At No. 1, the Bulldogs’ 14th-ranked team of Javier Garrapiz and Hernus Pieters led Brennan Boyijan and Jose Hernandez 5-2, but the Tar Heel duo posted a come-from-behind 9-8(2) win.
For Garrapiz and Pieters, it was their first doubles loss of the season as they fell to 12-1.
In singles, Georgia jumped out to an early lead when 47th-ranked Doumbia beat 90th-ranked Boyijan 6-2, 6-2 at No. 3. At No. 2, 13th-ranked Garrapiz outlasted North Carolina’s 103rd-ranked Hardy, 6-3, 6-2. At No. 1, 53rd-ranked Spencer won a close first set against 30th-ranked Tar Heel Jose Hernandez 6-4, then shut out Hernandez 6-0 in the second set for the third Bulldog point of the afternoon. Bernstein clinched the win for the Bulldogs with a 6-3, 6-3 win over North Carolina’s Baker at No. 4.
The Bulldogs return to action Wednesday against USC-Upstate at 2:30 p.m at the indoor courts. Admission is free for spectators and live stats and the live chat will be available on Georgiadogs.com.
#11 Georgia 4, #20 North Carolina 1
1. #53 Wil Spencer (UGA) def. #30 Jose Hernandez (UNC) 6-4, 6-0
2. #13 Javier Garrapiz (UGA) def. #103 Stefan Hardy (UNC) 6-3, 6-2
3. #47 Sadio Doumbia (UGA) def. #90 Brennan Boyijan (UNC) 6-2, 6-2
4. Drake Bernstein (UGA) def. Kyle Baker (UNC) 6-3, 6-3
5. #119 Hernus Pieters (UGA) vs. William Parker (UNC) 3-2, unfinished
6. Ignacio Taboada (UGA) vs. Zach Hunter (UNC) 2-1, unfinished
1. Brennan Boyijan/Jose Hernandez (UNC) def. #14 Javier Garrapiz/Hernus Pieters (UGA) 9-8 (7-2)
2. Stefan Hardy/Zach Hunter (UNC) def. #23 Sadio Doumbia/Ignacio Taboada (UGA) 9-8 (7-4)
3. Drake Bernstein/Wil Spencer (UGA) def. Cameron Ahari/William Parker (UNC) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,2,1,4)
Official: Walt Williams T-3:05 A-485