Jan. 29, 2011
|Saturday, January 29|
|North Carolina vs. Georgia Tech||UNC, 4-3|
|Georgia vs. Oklahoma State||Georgia, 4-0|
|Sunday, January 30|
|Georgia Tech vs. Oklahoma State||10:00 a.m. - Live Results|
|Georgia vs. North Carolina||2:00 p.m. - Live Results|
ATHENS, Ga. --- The 11th-ranked Georgia men's tennis team won its Saturday match to earn the right to play for a trip to the ITA National Team Indoors, defeating Oklahoma State 4-0 and set to take on No. 20 North Carolina Sunday at 2 p.m.
The winner of tomorrow's ITA Kickoff final will join the field for the national tournament Feb. 17-21 in Seattle.
"I thought we played great doubles today," said head coach Manuel Diaz, whose Bulldog teams have played in the National Indoors every year except for 2003. "I thought Sadio [Doumbia] played a good singles match, and Wil Spencer played a good first set. Our guys played some tough opponents but they handled the pressure of this event and we will come back tomorrow ready to go."
Georgia (2-0) started out with a doubles win as the No. 3 team of Drake Bernstein and Spencer defeated Oklahoma State's Eric West and Tomas Pitino, 8-3. The Bulldogs got their second win at No. 2 as 23rd-ranked Doumbia and Ignacio Taboada beat Maniel Bains and Vladyslav Bondarenko, also 8-3. No. 14 Javier Garrapiz and Hernus Pieters were leading 5-3 over ninth-ranked Aleksey Bessonov and Rifat Biktyakov at No. 1 before the match was suspended and the Bulldogs took a 1-0 lead.
In singles, Doumbia was first off as he cruised to a 6-1, 6-0 win over Biktyakov to push the lead to 2-0. It became 3-0 as Garrapiz handled Bondarenko, 7-6(3), 6-2 at No. 2, and Bernstein provided the clincher at No. 4 as he rallied from a 4-0 first-set deficit to defeat Bessonov by a score of 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.
The Bulldogs are one of 15 teams hosting ITA Kickoff regionals, with each one guaranteeing the winner a trip to Seattle. Georgia will meet the Tar Heels tomorrow after their 4-3 marathon win over Georgia Tech in Saturday's early match. The Yellowjackets and Cowboys will face off at 10 a.m.
UGA is now 3-0 all-time vs. Oklahoma State.
Keep up with the action with live scoring as well as the Georgia Tennis Live Chat on Georgiadogs.com.
#11 Georgia 4, #55 Oklahoma State 0
1. #53 Wil Spencer (UGA) vs. Maniel Bains (OKSU) 6-3, 4-6, 1-1, unfinished
2. #13 Javier Garrapiz (UGA) def. Vladyslav Bondarenko (OKSU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
3. #47 Sadio Doumbia (UGA) def. Rifat Biktyakov (OKSU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Drake Bernstein (UGA) def. Aleksey Bessonov (OKSU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. #119 Hernus Pieters (UGA) vs. Eric West (OKSU) 6-1, 4-2, unfinished
6. Campbell Johnson (UGA) vs. Ilija Martinoski (OKSU) 1-0, unfinished
1. #14 Javier Garrapiz/Hernus Pieters (UGA) vs. #9 Aleksey Bessonov/Rifat Biktyakov (OKSU) 5-3, unfinished
2. #23 Sadio Doumbia/Ignacio Taboada (UGA) def. Maniel Bains/Vladyslav Bondarenko (OKSU) 8-3
3. Drake Bernstein/Wil Spencer (UGA) def. Eric West/Tomas Patino (OKSU) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (3,2,4)
Official: Walt Williams