Head Coach: Jim Donnan
Final Record: Overall: 5-6; SEC: 4-4
Mike Bobo, QB
Robert Edwards, TB
Jason Ferguson, DT
Corey Johnson, FS
Adam Meadows, OT
Gene Toodle, BK
Donnan's Dogs Show Promise
Though inconsistency and turnovers plagued the Bulldogs throughout the season, Jim Donnan's first Georgia team still showed the promise of what hopefully lies ahead by defeating two of its three biggest rivals, Auburn and Georgia Tech, and topping stubborn Vanderbilt by a greater margin than Notre Dame, Alabama, Tennessee or Florida.
Turnovers may have been the Bulldogs' most difficult obstacle during the season. When Georgia took care of the football, it showed the ability to defeat, or for certain compete with, anyone. Turn it over, and the result could be a loss to almost anyone.
Pinpointing the reasons for the inconsistency is almost impossible and could be related to any or all of a variety of factors, including the transition to a new system, new coaches, new philosophy, and in general a new way of doing things. In general, growing pains. But through it all, the Bulldogs had their days, hopefully indicative of how things will be.
The Auburn victory may have been the game of the year in college football as Georgia rallied from a 28-7 deficit to defeat the Tigers, 56-49, in four thrilling over-time periods on the plains of Auburn and in front of a CBS television audience. Georgia came back two weeks later to defeat Georgia Tech, 19-10, giving the Bulldogs their sixth straight victory over the Yellow Jackets.
- First Team All-SEC: OT Adam Meadows, FS Corey Johnson.
- Second Team All-SEC: OT Matt Stinchcomb, WR Hines Ward, OLB Brandon Tolbert, ILB Greg Bright, TB Robert Edwards, DT Jason Ferguson.
- Academic All-SEC: QB Mike Bobo, DE Derrick Byrd, WR Drew Cronic, TE Brent Davis, LB Doug Hene, QB Doug Huff, PK Ryan Krusac, FS Larry Mann, WR Chris McCranie, WR Benjamin Puckett, PK Ryan Sanderson, SS Trey Sipe, CB Kirby Smart, QB Brian Smith, OT Matt Stinchcomb, WR Spencer Thomas, WR Hines Ward.
- All-SEC Freshman Team: CB Champ Bailey, PK Hap Hines.
- Burger King Scholar-Athlete of the Week: QB Brian Smith.
- 1996 Blue-Gray Game: WR Juan Daniels, NG Jermaine Smith.
- 1997 Senior Bowl: DT Jason Ferguson.
- 1997 Hula Bowl: OT Adam Meadows.
- SEC Good Works Team: OT Matt Stinchcomb.