Georgia Makes it Five in a Row, Beats A&M 52-46
ATHENS, Ga.-- Georgia survived a late 8-0 run by Texas A&M to secure its fifth straight win, beating the Aggies 52-46 Saturday evening at Stegeman Coliseum.
Georgia's current five game SEC winning streak is its longest since the 2001 season.
"Well that was a slugfest, really a physical game, a hard fought game, both teams really defending," said head coach Mark Fox. We had a lot of respect for Texas A&M's defense coming into the game. They guarded us very well, and I thought our defense was pretty solid from start to finish. Our kids were hungry and made enough plays to win it, but give A&M credit for playing super hard."
Georgia raced out to a 12-3 lead, holding the Aggies (14-9, 4-6) without a field goal until the 12-minute mark. Despite Caldwell-Pope being held to just two first-half points, Georgia took a 25-16 lead into halftime after holding Texas A&M to 18 percent shooting in the half.
After leading by as many as nine in the second half, the Aggies pulled to within three, 35-32, with an 8-3 run that ended with nine minutes left in the game. Georgia responded with an 8-0 run, capped off by a Sherrard Brantley three-pointer, to go up 43-32 with six minutes remaining.
With the Bulldogs up 50-40 with a minute remaining, Texas A&M scored eight straight points, but Caldwell-Pope hit two free throws with 17 seconds to secure the win.
Nine different players scored for Georgia.
"We've just found more guys that score the ball," Fox said, when asked what has changed over the last five games. "We don't have a designated second gun, but we had a lot of guys scoring tonight. We've become a pretty solid team on the offensive end when we play together and every one does their job."
Georgia outrebounded the Aggies 37-33 and outscored Texas A&M 23-8 off the bench.
Georgia returns to action Tuesday night against Alabama at 9:00 p.m. The game will be televised on ESPNU.
• Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Vincent Williams, Donte' Williams, Brandon Morris, and John Florveus started today's game. It's the same group that started in Georgia's win versus Texas A&M last month. The lineup is 5-0 this season.
• Georgia has won five straight conference games for the first time since 2001.
• Georgia made 25 free throws--a season-high.
• Texas A&M's 46 points is the fewest a Georgia team has allowed since 2/19/05 vs. Auburn (UGA won 57-45).
• Tonight marked the fewest field goals made since making 12 in a 65-37 loss at Vanderbilt in 2005. It's the fewest field goal attemps since going 20-for-37 from the field in 60-57 win at Virginia Tech in 1996.
• Georgia scored 12 field goals in today's win which is the fewest scored in a win in the shot clock era. The Bulldogs scored 10 field goals in a 26-20 win at Miss. State in 1982.
• Caldwell-Pope has scored in double figures in every game this season. Interestingly enough, tonight he scored 10 points without making a field goal, going 10-for-10 from the free throw line. It's the first game of his career that he hasn't scored from the field.
• Caldwell-Pope is one of only 11 players to score at least 10 points in every one of their team's games this season. He's the only SEC player and only one of five players from "BCS" conference schools to accomplish the feat.
•Caldwell-Pope ranks sixth in the nation in percentage of team's points scored. The Greenville native has scored 402 of Georgia's 1,372.
• Nemanja Djurisic led the team with 13 points. It's the third time in his career that he has led the team in scoring.
• With an attendance of 7,380, today's game was the highest-attended of any this season.
The Series: Georgia improves to 2-0 all-time against the Aggies. Today was only the second meeting between the two schools with Georgia winning the first matchup on Jan. 26 59-52 in College Station.
Next Up: Georgia will square off at home with Alabama Tuesday at 9:00 p.m. Alabama leads the all-time series 91-47, including 30-27 in Athens. Georgia's last win in the series came in 2010 at home, 76-70.
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Ticket Home Page
- Student Tickets Information
- Buy Tickets Online
- Student Ticket Request
- Online Promo Codes
- Student Ticket Donation
- Wheelchair Accessible Seating
- Faculty Staff Tickets
- Player Guest Tickets
- Ticket Transfer/Donation
- Group Tickets
- Bulldog Club
- Bulldog Club Home
- Football Skysuites
- About the Club
- Football Priority Seating
- Donate Online
- Football Ticket Cutoff Scores
- Request Fund Information
- Georgia vs. Florida
- Contact the Club
- Sanford Stadium
- Turner Softball Field
- Butts Mehre Heritage Hall
- Turner Soccer Complex
- Stegeman Coliseum: MBB | WBB | GYM
- Volleyball Arena
- Foley Field
- Magill Tennis Complex
- Indoor Athletic Facility
- Indoor Facility Construction Time Lapse
- All Facilities
- Things to Do
- Visiting Athens
- Game Promotions
- Campus Maps
- Fan Contests
- Driving Directions
- Charitable Requests
- Scoreboard Greetings
- Tailgating Policies