Bulldog Duo Named To 2012 SEC Community Service Team
May 15, 2012
ATHENS, Ga. --- A day removed from traveling back to Athens from the Southeastern Conference Outdoor Championships in Baton Rouge, a pair of Georgia track and field team members have been named to the 2012 SEC Community Service Team.
James competed in both the 5000-meter run and the 10,000 over the weekend at his first SEC Championships while Walker, a four-time scorer at different SEC meets throughout her career, battled in the most competitive women's high jump competition in league history. Five entrants cleared 6 feet, including Georgia's Saniel Atkinson.
Here are the contributions James and Walker have made to their communities:
Kyle James, Jr., Distance (Marietta, Ga.)
· Volunteered for the Leonard Leadership Scholars Program, which is a selective two-year leadership program in UGA's Terry College of Business. There are academic and extra-curricular aspects of the program, but the highlight of his participation in the program has been the service-learning component. James and other volunteers have partnered with a local alternative high school, Classic City High School, for a 16-month consulting project where their goal is to assist the school in creating a better community for the students as well as helping everyone receive a high school diploma. The 30-person program has been split into 6 teams and James is a team leader for the duration of the project.
· Within the Student Athlete Advisory Committee (S.A.A.C.), this was James' first year as a team representative for the cross country and track and field teams and he has been a bridge between the athletic department/administration, the team and the greater Athens community.
The most rewarding experiences have been helping out with the Special Olympics day at Foley Field in 2011, giving Barrow Elementary a check to help families during Thanksgiving, and assisting with Soles for Souls this year.
· James, along with some classmates, assisted a neighborhood group "Friends of Five Points" to put on their annual Easter egg hunt.
· Member of the Dean's List at UGA.
Carin Walker, Sr., Jumps/Sprints (Alpharetta, Ga.)
· Helped collect food for the SEC Together We Can Drive.
· Named to Coca-Cola Community All-American team for being a student-athlete who is making a difference in her community
· Coordinated and volunteered at Track Day at Barrow Elementary School, which neighbors Georgia's track, as current Bulldogs instructed students in track and field basics.
· Volunteered for UGA's Track Camp, which benefits area children during the summer.
· Worked on the local "Soles for Souls" Shoe Drive, which collects a variety of shoes for needy people in the area.
· Member of the Dean's List and majoring in Mass Media Arts which is in the Grady School of Journalism.
· Named to 2010 SEC Academic Honor Roll as well as the 2009 SEC Freshman Academic Honor Roll.
· Earned an internship with an L.A. production company called A Common Thread through the Grady School.
The Bulldogs will return to action at the NCAA East Prelims in Jacksonville, Fla., on May 24-26.
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Ticket Home Page
- Student Tickets Information
- Buy Tickets Online
- Student Ticket Request
- Online Promo Codes
- Student Ticket Donation
- Wheelchair Accessible Seating
- Faculty Staff Tickets
- Player Guest Tickets
- Ticket Transfer/Donation
- Group Tickets
- Bulldog Club
- Bulldog Club Home
- Football Skysuites
- About the Club
- Football Priority Seating
- Donate Online
- Football Ticket Cutoff Scores
- Request Fund Information
- Georgia vs. Florida
- Contact the Club
- Things to Do
- Visiting Athens
- Game Promotions
- Campus Maps
- Fan Contests
- Driving Directions
- Charitable Requests
- Scoreboard Greetings
- Tailgating Policies