Team USA will compete Wedensday through Monday in Tallahassee, Fla., in the World Championship Trials.
May 13, 2013
Romano, who completed her eligibility in March after leading the Lady Bulldogs to the NCAA title, won the 100-meter freestyle in 55.24 and the 100-meter backstroke in 1:00.83. Romano also had three runner-up efforts. Kalisz, a rising sophomore, took the 200- and 400-meter individual medley in 1:59.66 and 4:15.66, respectively.
Schmitt, the six-time Olympic medalist who also wrapped up her collegiate career in March, won the 200-meter freestyle in 1:58.76. Zhu, a rising sophomore, claimed the 200-meter breaststroke in 2:27.16, while incoming freshman Smoliga of Glennville, Ill., took the 50-meter backstroke in 28.50. The 400-meter freestyle relay of Lauren Harrington, Jordan Mattern, Shannon Vreeland and Romano touched first in 3:45.44.
In other results from the meet:
• Romano was second (25.12), Vreeland was ninth (25.74) and Harrington was 14th (26.57) in the 50-meter freestyle.
• Romano came in second in the 50-meter backstroke in 28.70 and the 200-meter backstroke with a time of 2:11.37.
• Zhu was second in the 200-meter individual medley in 2:15.00 and Vreeland was fourth in 2:16.19.
• Vreeland was the runner-up (55.39) and former Lady Bulldog Amanda Weir was eighth (56.92) in the 100-meter freestyle.
• Amber McDermott came in second in the 400-meter individual medley with a time of 4:44.26. Zhu finished ninth in 4:47.98.
• Matias Koski placed second in the 800-meter freestyle in 8:03.05 and was third in the 1,500-meter freestyle with a time of 15:20.22.
• Harrington stopped the clock in 2:13.28 in the 200-meter butterfly to place third and she came in fourth in the 100-meter butterfly with a time of 1:00.43.
• Kalisz came in third (2:14.51) and Nic Fink was sixth (2:16.43) in the 200-meter breaststroke.
• Vreeland was fourth (2:00.38), Mattern was sixth (2:01.31) and Romano was ninth (2:01.35) in the 200-meter freestyle.
• McDermott finished fourth in the 400-meter freestyle in 4:12.91, with Vreeland ninth (4:13.60), Mattern 11th (4:16.48) and Schmitt 13th (4:16.73).
• Stewart placed fourth in the 200-meter backstroke in 2:01.06.
• Kalisz finished fourth in the 200-meter butterfly with a time of 1:59.73, while Stewart placed 10th in 2:02.64.
• Zhu came in fifth in the 100-meter breaststroke with a time of 1:09.49.
• Former Lady Bulldog Andrea Georoff took fifth in the 50-meter butterfly in 27.42.
• Koski was fifth in 3:52.89 in the 400-meter freestyle, eighth in the 50-meter breaststroke in 29.03 and ninth in the 200-meter freestyle with a time of 1:50.24.
• Fink took sixth in the 100-meter breaststroke with a time of 1:02.51.
• McDermott went 8:46.91 to finish eighth in the 800-meter freestyle.
• Fink came in 11th and Cohen was 16th in the 200-meter individual medley with times of 2:06.01 and 2:10.70, respectively.
• Shannon O'Malley was 14th in the 200-meter breaststroke in 2:37.49.
The Arena Grand Prix Series will make its final stop May 30-June 2 in Santa Clara, Calif. The Arena Grand Prix Series serves as an opportunity for swimmers to race against some of the best competition in the country as they continue their preparation for the 2013 Phillips 66 National Championships and World Championships Trials in Indianapolis, Ind., the World University Games in Kazan, Russia, and the FINA World Championships in Barcelona, Spain.
Also, diver Laura Ryan recently completed competition in the Canada Cup and in the AT&T USA Diving Grand Prix. In Quebec, Ryan was fifth in 10-meter synchro, sixth in 3-meter synchro and 12th on 10-meter. In Fort Lauderdale, Ryan placed seventh in 3-meter synchro and ninth on 3-meter.