The Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) selected the University of Georgia as the site of its Collegiate Tennis Hall of Fame in 1982. The ITA felt that the University of Georgia would be an ideal site for such a museum because of Georgia's position as host of so many regional and national tournaments. Georgia has served as host of the NCAA Championships on 23 occasions and hosted the NCAA Women's Championships for the first time in 1994 and will host again in 2004.
Even after his retirement from the athletic association in 1995, Georgia's Dan Magill serves as chairman of the Hall of Fame Committee and curator of the Hall of Fame. In 1983, the first 15 members (10 players and five coaches) of the Hall of Fame were selected and enshrined in ceremonies during the NCAA Championships in Athens. Magill was part of the class inducted in 1989.
Thanks to the generosity of the Rogers family (Athenian Marianne and famous singer Kenny), the Hall of Fame building was dedicated May 16, 1984 in Athens during the 100th NCAA Championships.
The Hall of Fame inducts members annually, honoring past collegiate players, coaches and contributors dating back to 1883 when the first national tournament was held, making tennis the oldest national collegiate championship.
Visitors to the Hall of Fame can view more than 800 photographs and murals, featuring Hall of Fame members, NCAA singles, doubles and team champions, winners of ITA's national tournaments and annual awards, collegians who have excelled in Davis Cup play and Grand Slam winners. There are numerous racquets used by champions from different eras including 90-year-old replicas of those used by the first U.S. Davis Cup team players in 1900. Also, another interesting item is the first tennis rule book used in the country (1879).
The Hall of Fame is open to the public during all tennis competitions at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex. Tours may be scheduled by calling the Hall of Fame office at (706) 542-8064.